News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2012, 08:10:36 AM
When old people post funny internet pictures its like reddit's /r/funny six months in the past, which in turn is a sanitized processing plant for the actual internet's creative output.

Thanks for the trip through memory lane, ed. You're only as old as you feel!  :hug:
...None of that meant anything to me. Some 4chan reference?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2012, 08:31:33 AM
...None of that meant anything to me. Some 4chan reference?

No cryptic references here. In brief, the internet creates original content in various places known for it. Reddit is one of the largest principal aggregators of this content, collecting the work of others and presenting it to their voting system. The reddit herd collectively decides what good is, and some redditors will post things they found particularly funny onto their facebook to share with their friends. This brings the content into its widest circulation, including the middle-aged and elderly who navigate little of the internet except facebook.

Once it has been on facebook and exposed to the middle aged, the more vibrant and vital among them may share it with their internet friends on a forum like this.

So, in terms of interesting/new humourous pictures it goes like this:
vague internet morass ----> reddit-----> facebook ------> languish

Isn't it sad, languish?

But, life remains mostly excellent. Just now walking from class I heard two ladies on exchange from Japan talking ill about some korean girl on campus. I don't suppose they thought anyone could understand them, and indeed I could understand them poorly. Suffice to say the Korean is too loud and annoying  :)

Even better than that, my Japanese professor messed up a count of the students near the beginning of class, and punctuated her confusion with an "Ara!" before resuming the count. From such things goodness flows.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

How is that sad?  I prefer finished products over say, a bucket of petroleum, some iron ore and a few mineral salts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Wahoo!  My cholesterol is through the roof!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2012, 12:08:27 PMI prefer finished products
Wahoo!  My cholesterol is through the roof!
There's a shocker :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2012, 12:01:22 PM
No cryptic references here. In brief, the internet creates original content in various places known for it. Reddit is one of the largest principal aggregators of this content, collecting the work of others and presenting it to their voting system. The reddit herd collectively decides what good is, and some redditors will post things they found particularly funny onto their facebook to share with their friends. This brings the content into its widest circulation, including the middle-aged and elderly who navigate little of the internet except facebook.

Once it has been on facebook and exposed to the middle aged, the more vibrant and vital among them may share it with their internet friends on a forum like this.

So, in terms of interesting/new humourous pictures it goes like this:
vague internet morass ----> reddit-----> facebook ------> languish

Isn't it sad, languish?

Ed and everyone else is well aware that he's recycling images from elsewhere, all you're accomplishing here is making people who read this post think you're a twat, if they didn't already.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

Recycling from elsewhere is one thing- it's just that these are recycled recycled recyclings. I merely sought to illustrate the degree to which this was the case.

Being the vanguard of the HOLY SACRED internet is suffering, but I don't mind it :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

Capetan Mihali

What's the "77" stand for, Lettow?  The year punk broke?   :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Lettow77

I honestly have no idea. A friend of mine from Washington state was extremely fond of Lettow-Vorbeck a long time ago, and I had a weakness for his dash and elan as a romantic colonial guerilla. It seemed as acceptable a name as any other on the paradox forums, where it was vaugely in theme with the naming conventions there. I think Lettow must have been taken, and 77 may have been suggested by a prompt. I certainly have no personal connection to the number, and relatively little interest in Lettow Vorbeck himself, so it's an odd name. I keep it because I enjoy continuity and tradition.

and because if I got a new name i'd just want to be the little girl

CountDeMoney

So, have you buttfucked your roommate in his sleep yet?

Caliga

Lettow is Crunch's uncle. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points