And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Stop spending money on dying people.

Razgovory

We are all dying Yi, some of use are just a little further along then others.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2011, 02:48:49 PM
Damn good point Raz.

When I was born, my parents were concerned by my peculiar conical head.  The doctors assured them that it merely meant that I would make good points in the future.

Half of that statement is even true!  I'll let you figure out which sentence it is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2011, 02:52:14 PM
When I was born, my parents were concerned by my peculiar conical head.  The doctors assured them that it merely meant that I would make good points in the future.

Half of that statement is even true!  I'll let you figure out which sentence it is.

So we're to determine if it's more plausible you had bad doctors or good parents?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2011, 02:23:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2011, 08:43:16 AM
QuoteAbout one-fourth of Medicare's nearly $500 billion annual budget is spent on patients in the last six months of life, according to the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice.

Let's do it.

Amen.  Less than one third of people have advance directives, living wills or other legally binding end-of-life/DNR documents.  If we get it up to 90%, imagine the healthcare savings.

sbr

Death panels are the only real option.

Admiral Yi

I vote for death panels over advance directives.

Razgovory

Ed Anger

I'd toss Tim into the carousel.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2011, 04:30:37 PM
I vote for death panels over advance directives.

Surrendering individual empowerment to outside concerns? How un-Libertarian of you.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2011, 04:51:54 PM
Surrendering individual empowerment to outside concerns? How un-Libertarian of you.

In my version death panels won't throw people in the carousel, they'll cut off the free money.  Individuals will still be fully empowered to spend as much of their own money as they want to on prolonguing their lives.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2011, 05:39:07 PM

In my version death panels won't throw people in the carousel, they'll cut off the free money.  Individuals will still be fully empowered to spend as much of their own money as they want to on prolonguing their lives.

Do you support throwing Tim into the carousel?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

So basically, we'll see old, infirm people dumped out of gurneys onto the sidewalk.

Might as well just go full-Soylent Green.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 26, 2011, 09:50:01 PM

So basically, we'll see old, infirm people dumped out of gurneys onto the sidewalk.

Might as well just go full-Soylent Green.

Or just spend a lot less on good hospice care rather than last ditch remedial treatments.  But I think there has to be a cultural shift in the way we think about death for this to really catch on.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)