News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2011, 11:56:39 AM
Anyone else see that "come visit the Gulf coast" commercial during one of the football games yesterday?  Ended up with "brought to you by BP," which I found odd.

Yes.  I was baffled as to why Texas and Florida were not considered part of the Gulf Coast, especially since those two states' coasts are more famous.  But when I saw the BP thing I realized it was just penance for them screwing up Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi with their oil leak thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2011, 11:56:39 AM
Anyone else see that "come visit the Gulf coast" commercial during one of the football games yesterday?  Ended up with "brought to you by BP," which I found odd.

"But to be on the safe side, wear clothes you don't like very much."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2011, 11:58:43 AM
Yes.  I was baffled as to why Texas and Florida were not considered part of the Gulf Coast, especially since those two states' coasts are more famous.  But when I saw the BP thing I realized it was just penance for them screwing up Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi with their oil leak thing.

Florida was mentioned.  Sea World.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on December 19, 2011, 11:44:31 AM
I always wondered, can you use precedent from other common wealth nations, or just your own (assuming they don't conflict).
As Ide says.  Superior English courts will refer to other common law countries, including the US.  The Australian High Court seems particularly influential and credible.

QuoteNow you know how the rest of the EU feels about the UK.  :P
:lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2011, 12:03:36 PM
Florida was mentioned.  Sea World.

...I do not recall that.  I remember there were spokespeople for Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana telling us how great the Gulf was.  Maybe we saw a different version.

Tamas

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 19, 2011, 10:32:06 AM
Diminishing rations means i'll be going out for a trip. Campus is dead, so it won't be anything close. I hope it'll be safe- i've chosen something that won't have me crossing a main street. Last time I did that I was left with the impression I never wanted to do so again. Nothing to Ara Ara! about.

No report back?

Sheilbh

Attacked by a mob of angry blind people :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2011, 09:07:41 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 19, 2011, 07:10:31 AM
I just found out that Ramsses II was a redhead.

Lol, history says fuck you Sharpton.

So was Malcolm X.  So fuck you right back, cracker ass bitch.

:showoff:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Mr.Penguin

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!......

"Tainted by Tim"
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 19, 2011, 01:46:30 PM

Or maybe sighted people have decided to start avoiding him and this give them the perfect opportunity without hurting his feelings ? :unsure:

Only kidding, as Lettow is a special shiny contributor to the languish universe.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: mongers on December 19, 2011, 01:54:06 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 19, 2011, 01:46:30 PM
Only kidding, as Lettow is a special shiny contributor to the languish universe.

Yes, but this mock-blindness thing is pretty disgraceful.   :(  He needs healthier hobbies, even if it means composing epic poetry in Czech or whatnot.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2011, 11:50:15 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 19, 2011, 11:44:31 AM
I always wondered, can you use precedent from other common wealth nations, or just your own (assuming they don't conflict).

You can use precedent from any country in the world or Mars for that matter, it's just merely persuasive.

American courts have historically accorded significant weight to persuasive authority from England, though.  I assume Canadian courts have too.

Except that prior to certain dates, the Privy Council in England was the ultimate court of appeal for Canada (yes - you could appeal a Supreme Court of Canada decisions).  So you can have English decisions that are binding authority in Canada.

I can't remember what the case was now, but in law school I was amused that the binding authority on Canada was a Privy Council decision on a matter arising out of Nigeria.  :bowler:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

I might be wrong, but iirc English decisions were mandatory authority for U.S. states post-independence as well, for stuff like how causes of action could be brought and what form they must take and stuff like that. :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

Mmm? Report back? I hadn't expected it to be of interest. There wasn't much eventful- it feels good outside rather than too cold. The campus is abandoned, and I was able to walk to a nearby wendys. Groceries seem out of the question since I could only get two bags full at most anyhow.

Once I get to places I use my vision, but wendys was odd today. A tattooed manager i'd never seen before was raving, one of the ladies behind the counter had her husband (baby's daddy?) and child over and was taking a break, and then a suspicious couple came in and went to the bathroom together. It was at this time that I decided I really was quite attached to the blindness, and decided to eat my meal without vision as well. This could've gone poorly considering that I was eating chili, but it was fine. I disposed of the garbage without incident, and got home just fine. I only crossed one road and it was not a major one. It is true I was gone for over an hour, because I don't go anywhere in a hurry while blind. (The blind girl i've seen goes faster- she has more practice, although I think i've gotten competent rather quickly.)

I am surprised someone would go so far as to call voluntary blindness "disgraceful". Eccentric i'll warrant, but its just something that helps me perceive the world differently, and I am quite taken with it. It's good to do it over break when nobody is around.

My sonnet project is stalled out, although I have some 40 or so sonnets by this point. I suffer from lack of motivation- the utter futility of it weighs down upon me, and the only way I can justify it to myself is with the idea that I need to make a great work in my lifetime that others wouldn't do. Lots of mediocre sonnets hardly counts, however. I'll surely pick it back up, but the only inspiration that comes is disgust for not having done more sonnets, and that's a sour sort of motivation.

Mostly, at the moment, i'm just marking time until Katawa Shoujo, reading Dazai & Mishima, and watching too much anime.  I've gotten concerned messages from family in Mississippi and the roommate's family in Memphis, all of whom think I was wrong to stay here alone. I like the solitude though- I love my roommate very much and don't want to be a burden on him. The idea of him resenting or regretting my presence is horrible and makes me cautious of accepting even invitations, while the family I feel like I can't show my face around. I haven't turned out the way they'd like, and I'm not likely to do so. I failed as a member of the family- I lost my real connection with my father's death, but whatever tenuous thread remained was assuredly gone when the missus and I broke up. Considering that my grandfather assented to her, it's too shameful to return alone, but I have resolved neither to accept that girl nor pursue any new ones (except for the questing beast, which doesn't count- that's just a questing beast, and not to be caught.)

I'm not really looking forward to christmas, languish. When did this get to be such a melancholy post? Well, i'll feel better after a nap. I'll set out some tea as soon as I wake up, and have the last of the tuna
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'