News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

IF John King on CNN got the story right, the current continuing resolution expires next Friday, and the Democrats are refusing to move forward on the omnibus budget bill until the Republicans pass their payroll tax cut extension.

If he got it right and I got it right that's pretty bizarre and pretty major.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on December 13, 2011, 06:32:34 PM

Remind me to keep my niece far, far away.  ;)
:lol: Hey, i didn't do any harrassing. she's the one that asked me out
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

Wait, we have a statutory minimum? huh
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Avenged Sevenfold is playing here on Friday. I want to go with a sign that says "You left Dream Theater for this??". Or something like that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 13, 2011, 06:50:27 PM
Wait, we have a statutory minimum? huh

Only for Puerto Ricans and soldiers.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josephus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 13, 2011, 06:51:21 PM
Avenged Sevenfold is playing here on Friday. I want to go with a sign that says "You left Dream Theater for this??". Or something like that.

Portnoy's new band?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I hate christmas. Buying presents angers me,
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on December 13, 2011, 07:21:05 PM
I hate christmas. Buying presents angers me,

, to such an extent, and with such intensity, I cannot finish sentences.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2011, 06:40:35 PM
IF John King on CNN got the story right, the current continuing resolution expires next Friday, and the Democrats are refusing to move forward on the omnibus budget bill until the Republicans pass their payroll tax cut extension.

If he got it right and I got it right that's pretty bizarre and pretty major.

The Republicans selling out the working class is pretty commonplace, actually.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on December 13, 2011, 07:26:47 PM

If that's selling out the working class, every Democratic president and legislature starting with FDR has done the same.

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2011, 07:29:06 PM
Quote from: ulmont on December 13, 2011, 07:26:47 PM

If that's selling out the working class, every Democratic president and legislature starting with FDR has done the same.

I question your definitions of "that's," "the same," and "every," and further note that you provided, oh, zero backup.  But nice knee-jerk response that "Waaah, the Democrats did it too!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on December 13, 2011, 07:32:39 PM
I question your definitions of "that's," "the same," and "every," and further note that you provided, oh, zero backup.  But nice knee-jerk response that "Waaah, the Democrats did it too!"

Unlike, say, the deep and richly-elaborated backup you provided to your thoughtful thesis.

Eddie Teach

Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2011, 01:19:26 PM
Christmas last year was kind of fun, but at 7 months, my little guy didn't know what was going on.

At 19 months this year, he doesn't get "Santa", or know that he's going to get presents, but he does point at our tree and say "pretty tree", and he's going to realize that there are toys in those boxes once he starts opening them.

It's going to be awesome.   :cool:

Next year will be awesome, and the year after that will be even awesomer.  You've got such a short window, maybe until about 8, before the other little shits at school destroy it for him.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

Here's something you'll appreciate, counselor:
My oldest niece, the 8 year old, and my brother-in-law the lawyer--

"Daddy, is there really a Santa Claus?  Or is it you that puts the presents under the Christmas tree?"
"Well, I can tell you that I've never seen the REAL Santa Claus...and I can also tell you that it's not me that puts the presents under the tree."

A legally defensible argument.   So much so, she started to write her letter to Santa.