And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2011, 12:46:47 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2011, 12:15:07 PM
So much for Taiwan being a free country vis-a-vis the ChiComs....
It's the sort of thing that you'd see in the UK.

Well, it has been long established that the UK is not a free country.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2011, 12:15:07 PM
So much for Taiwan being a free country vis-a-vis the ChiComs....

QuoteFood Blogger Jailed for Calling Noodles "Too Salty"
Published June 24, 2011 | NewsCore

TAIPEI -- A woman was jailed for 30 days by a Taiwanese court for writing on her food blog that a restaurant's noodles were too salty.
The blogger, named only as Liu, visited a Taichung beef noodle restaurant in 2008 and wrote on her blog that the cuisine there was "too salty," that the venue was unsanitary because there were cockroaches and that the owner was a "bully," the Taipei Times reported Thursday.
The restaurant's owner, known as Yang, learned about the review from a regular customer and sued Liu for defamation.
The Taichung District Court found that Liu's comments about the cockroaches were a "narration of the facts" but ruled that her criticism of the restaurant exceeded reasonable bounds because she only tried the noodles and two side dishes.
She was sentenced to 30 days in detention, two years of probation and was ordered her to pay $6,900 in compensation to the restaurant after an inspection found that the conditions were sanitary.
Liu, who apologized to the restaurant, was told by the judge that she could not appeal against the decision.
Yang said that he hoped the case would teach her a lesson.
Huang Cheng-lee, a lawyer in Taichung, said that bloggers who post restaurant reviews should remember to be "truthful, objective and fair" and should post photographs to support their comments.

God damn it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

First Responders save lives.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

:D  Cute.  Is it a real photo?  Any idea the story behind it?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on June 26, 2011, 08:13:38 PM
:D  Cute.  Is it a real photo?  Any idea the story behind it?

Yeah, my sister sent some story to me a few months ago about kittens rescued from a house fire out west.  Don't remember where, but I do recall the mommy cat had died shielding them under a porch or something.

Josquius

Holy poo, I ordred a new shirt online yesterday morning. It came 10am today.
That's damn fast.
Yesterday was Sunday too :blink:
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

A dude trying to go Hunt Brothers on the market for He-Man action figures....

http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/06/27/cornering-the-market-for-he-man/

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

I found this to be rather interesting.
The Japanese addressing system is apparently rather different:
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/derek_sivers_weird_or_just_different.html
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

How do I make a smoke alarm, whose battery is evidently dying (?), shut up?  Is there a way to do this without replacing the battery?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on June 27, 2011, 03:32:50 PM
How do I make a smoke alarm, whose battery is evidently dying (?), shut up?  Is there a way to do this without replacing the battery?

That would kind of defeat the purpose. But hey it's your life.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Does it have Am-241 btw?

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2011, 03:33:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 27, 2011, 03:32:50 PM

That would kind of defeat the purpose. But hey it's your life.

Nevermind!  Removing the apparatus from its wires entirely seems to work.

And I'll change the battery/make someone else change the battery later.

As for americium, yes it does.
Kinemalogue

The Brain