And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 11, 2010, 11:22:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2010, 01:40:34 PM
Do the locals like having lizards around?
I'd imagine it to be a lot freakier than having a spider and some people are bad enough about those.

Lizards are great.  Natural pest control.  Mediterranean Geckos and brown anoles are all over the place in South Florida; my mom tries to encourage them to hang around to take care of the ants and aphids.  Oh, and they'll eat the spiders, too.

Reminds me of a funny story from Bali - we were renting a hotel room, and the guy renting to us was still seething with anger from a confrontation he had with the previous guest - this fellow, a German, had rented a room and then stormed in demanding a refund. Reason? His room was "infested" - with a gecko.

The hotel guy tried to point out that, quite literally, every room in Bali had a gecko (if not two or three), that there was no way to keep them out and that no-one bothered to, but the German fellow wasn't buying it; he took his money and stormed off, on a quest for a gecko-less room.

For all I know, he's still looking.  :D [Pretty well every room in Bali does indeed have a gecko]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Worthers original chocolates- wtf, just wtf. How can they exist.
And even more wtf...how can they be so awesome.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on April 12, 2010, 02:04:20 PM
Worthers original chocolates- wtf, just wtf. How can they exist.
And even more wtf...how can they be so awesome.

I found them to be disappointing. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I think I must have done something very wrong in that job interview. I haven't even gotten a 'Thanks for applying but no' email. :unsure:

When a person from a informal company refers to himself just by his first name in emails you're meant to do the same right?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on April 13, 2010, 12:03:35 PM
I think I must have done something very wrong in that job interview. I haven't even gotten a 'Thanks for applying but no' email. :unsure:

When a person from a informal company refers to himself just by his first name in emails you're meant to do the same right?

First name thing - yes.

How you did - who knows?  I may be jaded from working in government, but hiring decisions can take a very long time.  You need 6 different people to sign off, and only then can you notify the candidate.  It can take months.

How long has it been?  If it's been a few weeks it's quite acceptable to send a brief email to ask where the process is at.

Or you could just be being punished for being a fucking pothead. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

The name thing is a relief. It seemed a bit odd to me to be doing so but...yeah.

Its only been 2 weeks but he said I'd hear from him next week (which was last week).
I'm rather meh about it all though, if I've failed then its one less big stressy load off my mind, I'm on a tight enough schedule to get my thesis done by the beginning of June (its not my fault! my last one got cancelled!) as it is.
I just saw the advert and thought it sounded like exactly what I wanted to do so rushed together a CV and cover letter. From the interview though its clear to me a few things I should do come summer when its find a job or bust.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

If it has been a week since he said he would contact you, definitely give him a shout.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2010, 05:02:59 PM
If it has been a week since he said he would contact you, definitely give him a shout.

Indeed.

Now it might be nothing, but you're definitely entitled to email / call and say "you said you'd have an answer last week - any idea what's happening"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

And put in a mention that you are very interested in the position.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Don't mention the bag of weed.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2010, 05:12:39 PM
Don't mention the bag of weed.

Unless it was the interviewers.
Then a brief "Thanks for the smoke ;)" is appropriate.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zanza

Singapore's economy grew by 32% from Q4 2009 to Q1 2010, some sectors grew by as much as 139%. Year-on-year the growth is 13.1%.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2010, 02:48:26 AM
Singapore's economy grew by 32% from Q4 2009 to Q1 2010, some sectors grew by as much as 139%. Year-on-year the growth is 13.1%.
:yeahright: Which sectors?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2010, 03:07:38 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 14, 2010, 02:48:26 AM
:yeahright: Which sectors?

The execution and canning sectors.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017