Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

Ha ha...a song from the 1977 Danish movie Piger til Søs

It's hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFvtcvJsS6k&feature=related

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on January 07, 2010, 09:47:59 AMOne guy was saying dogs are like cuckoos really, they've evolved traits we find adorable to trick us into caring for them at the expense of having more kids of our own.

Sure, they use us.  But it's mutual, we use them for work.  And when food is scarce, they're portable meat bags that require no effort to hunt.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2010, 08:47:33 AM
Love has to be reciprocated. Your cat doesn't love you.

I'll have you know my cat is very loving and affectionate.  I've had several people tell me that if we ever have to get rid of him they'd love to take him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 07, 2010, 09:16:59 AM
In a like manner, you could have several wives in your lifetime.

I have had several cats; cats have died, but never because I did not give them the best care available to my means. If an animal is in my charge, that is a responsibility I take seriously. I would not sacrifice a living thing I was committed to caring for because I did not care 'that much'

Oh, owning a pet is a responsibility.  I would feel like absolute shit if a pet of mine died because of some easily fixible ailment, or because I did not give them the proper care and attention.

But that does not mean without any rational limit.  Giving them food of reasonable quality?  Yes.  Making sure routine shots and care are taken care of?  Yes.  Spending thousands on surgery?  No.

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 07, 2010, 09:34:11 AM
How outdated, Valmy. With less children in the family than ever before, its time for the west to transfer their feelings of affection to animals, and give them the treatment unborn children might have recieved.

Hadn't you heard? I am participating in the decline of the west; you are some atavistic ANIMAL-HATER, & etc.

Or you could just have kids.   :huh:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2010, 06:18:12 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2010, 08:47:33 AM
Love has to be reciprocated. Your cat doesn't love you.

I'll have you know my cat is very loving and affectionate.  I've had several people tell me that if we ever have to get rid of him they'd love to take him.

Well, you are quite lovable its true.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

New university rankings are out. We're 76th in the world apparently. We've gone down 5.
I wonder why the American ones always rank so much higher.
And I wonder who seriously pays much attention to these things. Other than students trying to justify their decisions. Do employers actually care if you went to a highly or lowly ranked uni?
http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2009.jsp
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Mines at 151-200. Not bad for an in-state public school - I got a decent education and I have no student loans.

My schools around the same ranking as Seoul Nat'l University (Korea's #1), the National Autonomous University of Mexico (Mexico's #1), the #1 schools of Austria, Spain, and Argentina, and Denmark's #3.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zanza

My university is in the 101-151 band, national rank is 6-11. Which is about where I would put it in Germany too. For my subject it was among the top 3 though.

BTW, the German universities complain that these rankings are more favorable to universities in English-speaking countries.

The university where I studied abroad is #75. My impression and that of other Euros studying there was that it was not nearly as hard as our home universities.

Ed Anger

Quote62 The Ohio State University - Columbus

:)

I should get some value for that 8k a year.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2010, 09:49:00 AM

And I wonder who seriously pays much attention to these things. Other than students trying to justify their decisions. Do employers actually care if you went to a highly or lowly ranked uni?

For most positions, not much. Unless you went to the university of Cancun or some other bullshit that throws up a red flag.

For doctors, lawyers and other specialized positions, the college you went to does matter more.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Monoriu

Met a senior executive of a big local internet company.  He said "we're going to close our discussion forums.  Gawd, you need to see what those nerds are posting.  'What are you eating', 'what are you listening'.  I've had enough."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 08, 2010, 10:31:29 AM
For most positions, not much. Unless you went to the university of Cancun or some other bullshit that throws up a red flag.

For doctors, lawyers and other specialized positions, the college you went to does matter more.

Even as a lawyer I haven't found that university makes any real difference.  It might be different in the US however.

My university is in the 200-300 bank in the world.  But since it was #1 in Manitoba it was good enough for me.