News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on December 23, 2009, 04:40:06 PM
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers just notified me that I qualify for a free e-book for renewing early.  The choices:

Engineering the Art of Negotiation Part 2: How to Handle Your Colleagues
Survivor Planning: What Every Spouse Should Know
Communicating with Congress: How to Build A Relationship with Your Elected Officials

What fun, it almost makes me want to run out and pick up a Kindle just so I can read one of these fine works.  I think I'll go with number 3, maybe Congressmen Levin will invite me over for Kosher wine and cheese. 
Kindles and other readers do look nice but...I just can't qualify it to myself. So much money for a single use computer. The equivalent of 10 books or something.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

QuoteSurvivor Planning: What Every Spouse Should Know

Mourn 6 months
Get laid

There, that book is done.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 23, 2009, 11:45:39 AM
Of course, it's by the guild. Their entire sitcom is dedicated to WoW.

I dunno, as obsessive as those guys are, they'd probably be in a guild capable of doing endgame raids.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Josephus on December 23, 2009, 09:52:10 AM
Got this really strange Christmas card at work. It's Russian and has a graveyard on the front.

On the back it says:

"Between 1917 and 1991, 20 million men, women and children were murdered by the Soviet secret police known variously as Cheka, NKVD, SMERSH and KGB. Some perpertrators and enablers of Communist war crimes and crimes against humanity are in Canada.

They shouldn't be.

Merry Christmas and Peace to Men of Goodwill. (veterans of the Communist Secret Police not include)"

Lovely.
If it's true that former secret police are in the country, I agree, though it's not really an appropriate message for Christmas card.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I bet there's former CIA there as well. And current ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Savonarola on December 23, 2009, 04:40:06 PM
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers just notified me that I qualify for a free e-book for renewing early.  The choices:

Engineering the Art of Negotiation Part 2: How to Handle Your Colleagues
Survivor Planning: What Every Spouse Should Know
Communicating with Congress: How to Build A Relationship with Your Elected Officials

What fun, it almost makes me want to run out and pick up a Kindle just so I can read one of these fine works.  I think I'll go with number 3, maybe Congressmen Levin will invite me over for Kosher wine and cheese.

I am surprised why anyone would want to build a relationship with elected officials.

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 23, 2009, 06:23:40 PM
If it's true that former secret police are in the country, I agree, though it's not really an appropriate message for Christmas card.

Pff, we have former KGB colonels in management positions in Russia and the Ukraine. Fun guys to drink with, but I wouldn't eat sushi with them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

I totally bit the dirt on the way home from the market today. :pinch:  :blush:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 24, 2009, 03:17:26 AM
I totally bit the dirt on the way home from the market today. :pinch:  :blush:

Is that a north korean recipe?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

My shoelace got caught and I fell.

1 Karma Chameleon point

syk

What's red and bad for the teeth?

A brick.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on December 23, 2009, 09:52:10 AM
Got this really strange Christmas card at work. It's Russian and has a graveyard on the front.
On the back it says:

"Between 1917 and 1991, 20 million men, women and children were murdered by the Soviet secret police known variously as Cheka, NKVD, SMERSH and KGB. Some perpertrators and enablers of Communist war crimes and crimes against humanity are in Canada.

They shouldn't be.

Merry Christmas and Peace to Men of Goodwill. (veterans of the Communist Secret Police not include)"

Lovely.
Well, that has been in the news lately.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2009, 08:46:20 PM
I am surprised why anyone would want to build a relationship with elected officials.

In Detroit it's helpful to know the people you're sending bribes to.   :)

Seriously, various disciplines of engineering require that you work with government on some level.  In the cellular industry we have to work with city officials in order to zone and build towers, state and federal officials in order to insure our towers aren't placed in flight paths, and federal officials to make sure our broadcast frequency is within safety standards and doesn't interfere with other carriers.  With the exception of local zoning officials we deal with the unelected bureaucrats; but it never hurts to know and contribute to the campaigns of the people who write the laws that we and the bureacurats must follow.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock