News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on May 10, 2024, 09:11:55 PMWhite flight has evolved. Instead of moving, whites just split off and create a new city

New City created in Louisiana

The American definition of city continues to enrage.
When you've two substantial settlements that have grown to butt into each other fair enough. But when you've a urbanised modern area isolated from all else  then that's the same city.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

White cities. Schools rescinding name changes and going back to Confederate names. Yeah, America is not in good shape.

A Virginia school board voted Friday to restore the names of Confederate military leaders to a high school and an elementary school, four years after the names were removed amid nationwide protests calling for a reckoning over racial injustice.

https://apnews.com/article/virginia-confederate-school-names-26db1b3532208ef8fb1f545c1482b9ff
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

So, we had a work event and one of my bosses brought her husband.

And he's an Orbán doppleganger. Uncannily so. Wondered about posting this in the Hungary thread, maybe we can use him to replace Orbán?

Maladict

Eurovision finally gets interesting again  :lol:

HVC

What'd the Dutch guy do?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maladict

Still unknown. But the French guy seems to have disqualified himself as well in rehearsal

Legbiter

I see Israel is one of the bookie favourites this year.  :lol:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on May 11, 2024, 01:51:18 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 10, 2024, 09:11:55 PMWhite flight has evolved. Instead of moving, whites just split off and create a new city

When you've two substantial settlements that have grown to butt into each other fair enough. But when you've a urbanised modern area isolated from all else  then that's the same city.

This is a legal definition and in any case Louisiana has a weird set of laws based on the Code Civil anyway. You shouldn't take anything that happens there as some kind of indicator of how things are done in the rest of the country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: Legbiter on May 11, 2024, 10:22:09 AMI see Israel is one of the bookie favourites this year.  :lol:

Maybe I'll actually watch it this time, something is bound to happen.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2024, 10:52:06 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 11, 2024, 01:51:18 AM

This is a legal definition and in any case Louisiana has a weird set of laws based on the Code Civil anyway. You shouldn't take anything that happens there as some kind of indicator of how things are done in the rest of the country.

I actually think Josq would take comfort in the fact that he can blame the French :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on May 11, 2024, 10:02:57 AMWhat'd the Dutch guy do?
From the Dutch side who are backing Joost:

There's lots of other commentary.

Personally I feel it's a bit "my 'Joost did not touch the camera woman' t-shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by my t-shirt".
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on May 11, 2024, 07:12:28 AMSo, we had a work event and one of my bosses brought her husband.

And he's an Orbán doppleganger. Uncannily so. Wondered about posting this in the Hungary thread, maybe we can use him to replace Orbán?

:D

Is he Romanian? :p

Legbiter

Quote from: Maladict on May 11, 2024, 11:10:19 AMMaybe I'll actually watch it this time, something is bound to happen.

Croatia hitting hard.  :lol:

Sheilbh

I am very much looking forward to the France to Austria segue :ph34r:

My votes have gone to Spain, Croatia and Ireland. So far...
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

90's rave in Eurovision.  :D  Thoroughly enjoyable.  :ccr