News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The map does have other inaccuracies, like Maryland not being very cold and Nebraska not being much of a Yee haw state.  And of course Alaska is not much of an island.  Not to put down the map but to explain why for Dixie Republican makes more sense to me than hard vocal R.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2022, 01:27:43 PMThe map does have other inaccuracies, like Maryland not being very cold and Nebraska not being much of a Yee haw state.  And of course Alaska is not much of an island.  Not to put down the map but to explain why for Dixie Republican makes more sense to me than hard vocal R.

Wisconsin is a soda (or soh-dah as they say it) state.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2022, 11:53:42 AMI completely agree most all of that, the Northeast is cold in more ways than one  :ph34r:

But I don't get the 'Hard R' states of the Southeast. Lots of Southern accents are non-rhotic.

Man, I really hope you and the others aren't joking about not understanding what that means.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on September 24, 2022, 02:37:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2022, 01:27:43 PMThe map does have other inaccuracies, like Maryland not being very cold and Nebraska not being much of a Yee haw state.  And of course Alaska is not much of an island.  Not to put down the map but to explain why for Dixie Republican makes more sense to me than hard vocal R.

Wisconsin is a soda (or soh-dah as they say it) state.

We called it soda in Michigan, as well.  I think that the "pop" thing is way overstated.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Bizarre that Germany is the top destination for tourism for some CEE countries.   :hmm:

celedhring

I'm more mistified by the Greeks vacationing in Albania  :hmm:

I suspect there's some noise in what Eurostat is counting as "tourism".

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on September 25, 2022, 09:19:52 AMI'm more mistified by the Greeks vacationing in Albania  :hmm:

Not if you remember Greece is broke  :D

The mistifying one for me is Lithuania. Not the UK as a destination, but why Lithuania?

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on September 25, 2022, 09:55:14 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 25, 2022, 09:19:52 AMI'm more mistified by the Greeks vacationing in Albania  :hmm:

Not if you remember Greece is broke  :D

The mistifying one for me is Lithuania. Not the UK as a destination, but why Lithuania?

I suppose it makes sense. They're on the lowest band of % of people vacationing abroad - Greece is an awesome place to holiday in itself, so most people probably just travel domestically and Albania probably gets there by being cheap and a neighbor.

The Larch

Albania has been promoting itself as a budget Mediterranean destination for a while, and the country has improved significantly in the last few years, it makes no sense to keep picturing it as a post-commie distopia anymore. The fact that Greeks go there in significant numbers doesn't seem that weird to me.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on September 25, 2022, 09:55:14 AMThe mistifying one for me is Lithuania. Not the UK as a destination, but why Lithuania?

There are tons of Lithuanians in the UK, and relatively they make a fairly high % of its population, mostly younger people, so I guess it's either people travelling from one country to the other somehow frequently, family and friends visiting those living in the UK, or as cel said, some fuzziness into what Eurostat counts as tourism, which might actually include trips done for business purposes, which I guess would also explain the CEE countries that have Germany as their top destination.

Josquius

I remember reading not too long ago that something crazy like 20% of Lithuanians are in the UK.

I'm surprised Spain is so universally number 1. Considering overnight trips count would think there'd be a lot more countries with just their immediate neighbour.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah there's over 400,000 Lithuanians who've apples for a National Insurance number and 250-300,000 who have settled status. Which isn't quite 20% but is a lot for a country of under 3 million.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2022, 04:51:41 PMYeah there's over 400,000 Lithuanians who've apples for a National Insurance number

What a quaint practice. England truly is a strange country!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

So apparently, today NASA is smashing a probe into the asteroid Dimorphos (orbiting another asteroid Didymos), to research techniques for redirecting asteroids with trajectories towards Earth.