News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Good job Europe and Australia for voting the right way.

Moldova is my favorite song, close second is Norway.

Mika's pauses are too long.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Yeah, Norway was my favorite as combo of catchiness/zaniness - with Moldova also up there. Serbia was also oddly mesmerizing. UK was... okay? It felt a bit too polished and controlled for my Eurovision tastes, but it was a well crafted and performed song.

celedhring

Incidentally, I thadn't checked the Ukrainian song before today and when they started playing it I recognized it instantly from dozens of combat footage videos  :lol:

The Larch

For me the zany award had to go to Moldova, after a bunch of boooooooring ballads their song was the necessary weirdness/catchiness that was needed. I felt great seeing that they got a ton of support from the popular votes.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Wait a minute...you guys were serious about this Eurovision thing?  It's a real thing?

You people can never talk shit about American television ever again.  Ever.

Sheilbh

The best take is from when the Swedes hosted a couple of years ago and showed how to do the perfect Eurovision song :lol:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tgnx6jTQ

I think American TV has tried their own version, but because it still aspires to a heterosexual audience my impression is it's not been that great - but I could be wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 15, 2022, 11:18:37 AMThe best take is from when the Swedes hosted a couple of years ago and showed how to do the perfect Eurovision song :lol:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tgnx6jTQ

I think American TV has tried their own version, but because it still aspires to a heterosexual audience my impression is it's not been that great - but I could be wrong.

You know, I was having a debate with my friends yesterday about which is the perfect Eurovision song. Not the *best* Eurovision song, mind you.

My take was Rise Like a Phoenix - controversial, over the top anthemic, completely earnest, and it hits like a freight train. I listened to again and I realized would be a kickass Bond theme.  Actually "could you put this in front of Bond?" is probably a good way to rate a song for Eurovision.

Admiral Yi

The perfect Eurovision song was Waterloo.  Everything else has been dreck.

Eddie Teach

Most of the best and the worst television is American.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on May 15, 2022, 11:29:36 AMYou know, I was having a debate with my friends yesterday about which is the perfect Eurovision song. Not the *best* Eurovision song, mind you.

My take was Rise Like a Phoenix - controversial, over the top anthemic, completely earnest, and it hits like a freight train. I listened to again and I realized would be a kickass Bond theme.  Actually "could you put this in front of Bond?" is probably a good way to rate a song for Eurovision.
:lol: Yeah there may not be too much overlap between best and best Eurovision - totally agree on Rise Like a Phoenix and Bond though. And a great choice. It's genuinely iconic Eurovision. I think there needs to be a staging gimmick too (and I really remember with Conchita how clever the staging was because in the last chorus even though she didn't move it gave the impression that the platform was rising).

Because the others ones that spring to mind for me is Fairytale and Heroes from Mans both of which had big stage gimmicks/ideas (admittedly a violin and graphic of a stickman :lol:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Out of the three ceremonial family gatherings by far the most boring has to be the graduation.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2022, 01:26:07 PMOut of the three ceremonial family gatherings by far the most boring has to be the graduation.

It's the longest I guess.

I was thinking on this stuff earlier - increasingly these days people get married on paper and forego ceremony. Could this be done for a christening? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Graduation is a ceremony for the parents - and getting photos. That's it.

Marriage - massive party. Funerals - very context specific. Don't think I've been to many as an adult and not many of my friends are having kids - but the last one I was at had the vicar drunkenly shouting at a boat "I'm the vicar - and these are all my tarts!"
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

My graduation at a Spanish uni lasted 2-3 hours. My graduation at an American one lasted the whole fucking day  :lol: