News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2022, 10:21:42 PM
Quantitative analysis is the use of mathematical and statistical methods in finance and investment management. Those working in the field are quantitative analysts (quants). Quants tend to specialize in specific areas which may include derivative structuring or pricing, risk management, algorithmic trading and investment management. The occupation is similar to those in industrial mathematics in other industries.[1] The process usually consists of searching vast databases for patterns, such as correlations among liquid assets or price-movement patterns (trend following or mean reversion). The resulting strategies may involve high-frequency trading.

Although the original quantitative analysts were "sell side quants" from market maker firms, concerned with derivatives pricing and risk management, the meaning of the term has expanded over time to include those individuals involved in almost any application of mathematical finance, including the buy side.[2] Applied quantitative analysis is commonly associated with quantitative investment management which includes a variety of methods such as statistical arbitrage, algorithmic trading and electronic trading.

Did you put footnotes in there?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2022, 06:22:59 PM
My grandparents in Denmark washed dishes in a tub, and that's how I was raised too. To me it's part of the "I'm doing the dishes now" process.

Of course now I just rinse dishes off and put them in the dishwasher, so no tub required.

I don't have strong feelings on tub vs plugged sink. Either way is fine, really, though I have a mild preference for doing it the way I was brought up.

A plugged sink always struck me as a bit icky. No telling what has been in it before. Also when you need to refill buckets for outside and the like. Best to have a separation between food stuff and general sink use.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I am still stuck at not rinsing. No wonder British food has no taste if you all get your flavours from dried-on washing up liquid. :P

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2022, 08:18:26 AM

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2022, 06:22:59 PM
My grandparents in Denmark washed dishes in a tub, and that's how I was raised too. To me it's part of the "I'm doing the dishes now" process.

Of course now I just rinse dishes off and put them in the dishwasher, so no tub required.

I don't have strong feelings on tub vs plugged sink. Either way is fine, really, though I have a mild preference for doing it the way I was brought up.

A plugged sink always struck me as a bit icky. No telling what has been in it before. Also when you need to refill buckets for outside and the like. Best to have a separation between food stuff and general sink use.

There's your problem Tyr, my suggestion get an outside tap installed, put it near the downstairs toilet/washbasin and you'll just need to drill a hole through the wall and put in a connector to the water on the inside.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2022, 08:23:52 AM
I am still stuck at not rinsing. No wonder British food has no taste if you all get your flavours from dried-on washing up liquid. :P

I don't get this, Tamas are people in this thread or RL Little Britain really saying they do that? 

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2022, 08:28:33 AM

I don't get this, Tamas are people in this thread or RL Little Britain really saying they do that?

Sheilbh just wrote last night that he doesn't rinse. :P

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2022, 08:36:24 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2022, 08:28:33 AM

Sheilbh just wrote last night that he doesn't rinse. :P

OK  :x

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Collaborative environment and great work-life balance.  Apply to Domino's today!

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2022, 08:58:34 AM
Collaborative environment and great work-life balance.  Apply to Domino's today!

Dunno how it is with Dominos in the US - are they independent contractors (like Uber Eats etc.)? Because if there's one thing all these delivery drivers (be they food, Amazon or whatever) are good at over here is excessive self exploitation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

They'll rescind the prize after 2nd or 3rd fatality. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

P.J. O'Rourke passed on the 15th. :(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Nick Clegg <_< :ultra:
QuoteBREAKING: Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg has promoted his top policy executive, Nick Clegg, to an even greater role inside the company with the new title of President for Global Affairs
Let's bomb Russia!