News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Astonished that a beige suit is considered presentable as opposed to a clear sign of a con artist.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2022, 08:04:27 AM
Astonished that a beige suit is considered presentable as opposed to a clear sign of a con artist.

Astonishing that some people think that their own standards are universal.

In the US, for instance, a tan suit is considered a sign of a slight relaxation of formality, but certainly has no con artist connotation.  Obama is famous for having worn a tan suit, and that's because that the fact that it was considered scandalous by the GOPtards just showed how lacking in scandals his administration was.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2022, 08:04:27 AM
Do con artists have clear signs?  It seems like not having those is crucial for satisfactory job performance.

Syt

Here's something for the learned minds of Languish:

https://wikitrivia.tomjwatson.com/

It pops up random historical events, and you have to place them in the correct chronological order.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Damn, it's addictive! My best streak is 14 so far.

Syt

I got to 13. Actors, companies, and anything from India tends to throw me off. Random palaces can be from the 1900s or the 1100s :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Coup in Burkino Faso - announced in reassuringly traditional fashion by a bunch of people in military uniforms on state TV:
https://twitter.com/Brevesdepresse/status/1485674016920809477?s=20
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It's like the game Time line - always infuriatingly arbitrary though I think I've memorised it's definitions by now
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2022, 01:01:35 PM
I got to 13. Actors, companies, and anything from India tends to throw me off. Random palaces can be from the 1900s or the 1100s :lol:

Yeah, Indian and Chinese stuff is my bane. Is it from the Middle Ages? From Late Antiquity? Who knows!  :lol:

Syt

I noticed one error (or maybe a glitch that just affected me): It dates the end of the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs at 1. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, I'm guessing they're using a script to pull stuff from Wikipedia. At any rate, I think at the moment the game has some weird descriptions of people. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2022, 01:23:08 PM
Also, I'm guessing they're using a script to pull stuff from Wikipedia. At any rate, I think at the moment the game has some weird descriptions of people. :P

Yeah, I got Louis XV billed as "art collector".  :lol:

Edit: 23! :w00t:

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2022, 12:39:48 PM

It pops up random historical events, and you have to place them in the correct chronological order.

I crashed out immediately because apparently the Pantheon was created in AD 601.  :huh:

The Brain

Classical Greeks didn't have choirs and Ethiopia started its existence in 1941. A bit too hit and miss.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2022, 12:39:48 PM

Best steak so far is 17. Random guessing for some authors birth dates, though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius