News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The Tió doesn't really bring presents though, it defecates sweets than then you eat (I know it doesn't make it better  :P)

The Three Kings are the main present givers.

celedhring

Incidentally, the "get gifts for Christmas" is a relatively recent innovation (at least in Catalonia, but I think it's the same for the rest of Spain). When I was a kid for Christmas you only got the sweets from the Tió, and then on January 6th the Three Kings brought the presents.

Now you get presents both days, which makes holidays even more expensive for us and even better for retailers  :lol:

Josquius

I always wondered how these foreign cultures hold up against American media ramming its version down our throats.
With the UK the only real issue is having to fix north pole to lapland. With others you're talking completely different.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

In my childhood Christmas presents were from baby jesus. Santa was for 6th December. I think boundaries have blurred a lot since then due to the American cultural influence as well as marketing cost saving efforts of using foreign Christmas ads. But I have no idea how parents nowadays approach this in Hungary.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on December 27, 2021, 03:45:24 AM
I always wondered how these foreign cultures hold up against American media ramming its version down our throats.
With the UK the only real issue is having to fix north pole to lapland. With others you're talking completely different.
Yeah - you still get the Father Christmas v Santa thing here. But that's how I interpreted the ad too.

Weird thing is the UK used to have lots of traditions (including Father Christmas and the Mari Lwyd) that were basically about adults feasting and drinking, not children. They've largely been replaced by the more kid-focused/friendly Santa. Except for the Mari Lwyd itself which is probaby the most terrifying/least kid-friendly tradition :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Seeing some truly awful opinions about film on the internet from people who should know better (and seen similar about fiction too) - and I think we are, tragically headed into a new age of mawkish sentimentality and judgement like the Victorians :bleeding: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 27, 2021, 06:57:04 AM
Seeing some truly awful opinions about film on the internet from people who should know better (and seen similar about fiction too) - and I think we are, tragically headed into a new age of mawkish sentimentality and judgement like the Victorians :bleeding: :weep:

I apologise, it won't happen again.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 27, 2021, 06:57:04 AM

I kinda feel the same, in "middlebrow" opinion-makers it seems that appreciation of sentimentality and morality is taking precedence to appreciation of craftmanship/aesthetic innovation.

Now, I feel that in decades past it was the opposite - my experience with my film school professors is that sometimes they got lost in the intellectuality of it all, but the pendulum as usual seems to be swinging too hard.

Sheilbh

Yep. Seeing it a lot in the response to Licorice Pizza - from people who should know better.

But also the way that people (again, who should know better) are talking about The Power of the Dog as having a "twist".

Maybe things got a bit too cold and intellectual, but I'd like everyone to grow up again <_< :P

(Not just films either - seeing it creep into fiction reviews)
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Quote from: DGuller on December 26, 2021, 01:00:16 PM
I'm famous!  :w00t:  When I picked up chess earlier this year, I never expected to be featured so quickly in the video of #1 chess Youtuber, GothamChess.  Some people in the chat actually thought I was a GM, and a couple even suggested I was Magnus Carlsen (which doesn't make sense, as he doesn't play on chess.com, but the compliment is nice to hear).

Without further ado, here is the highlight of my life, starting at 20 minute mark: https://youtu.be/1gfCG4bYVYM?t=1212

Congratulations on a great Guess the Elo-game! :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

I guess most have already seen it or at least read about fit. But in contrast to the Czech Air forces odd advert. Here is one from the Norwegian Post, which is quite something

https://youtu.be/pCNnX7ahix8
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

I am old enough to remember Menino Jesus instead of Pai Natal for Portugal.

Menino Jesus was even mentioned in a schoolbook (first grades).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 27, 2021, 08:21:56 AM
Yep. Seeing it a lot in the response to Licorice Pizza - from people who should know better.

But also the way that people (again, who should know better) are talking about The Power of the Dog as having a "twist".

Maybe things got a bit too cold and intellectual, but I'd like everyone to grow up again <_< :P

(Not just films either - seeing it creep into fiction reviews)

So, you don't like those films?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on December 26, 2021, 01:59:29 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2021, 01:30:44 PM
I wish I knew the rules to know what's going on there. It seems you acted erratically passing up chances to win (traps?) and then your connection dropped when you were on the brink of winning?
Both of us acted very erratically.  It was like two pit bulls on PCP duking it out; both of us were so focused on going for the jugular that we completely ignored our own vulnerabilities.  But, because both of us were so focused on the jugulars, we usually missed the chances to pounce on other exposed weaknesses that were presented to us. 

It was just a comedy of errors from both sides.  During the game, I realized a couple of times one move too late that I missed out on a winning move, which just put me on tilt more and more.  At the end of the game, I was running out of time, which is how I ultimately lost the game (but I was going to be mated anyway).

You didn't give me credit for nailing your elo rating in the back room!  :cry:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on December 27, 2021, 12:22:02 PM
You didn't give me credit for nailing your elo rating in the back room!  :cry:
I wanted keep everyone in suspense.