News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2021, 10:01:02 AM
I didn't mean to imply that "they" was an answer to trans issues, I agree that it was an answer to the perception that a default "he" implies that all doctors are male.  I still don't hear it used in the business world, and garbon's first sentence (but not the second one) would likely sound unusual enough in that setting that I would probably notice.

In my first example, I was envisioning scenario where he saw the doctor and I don't know the doctor's gender. I agree previously would have been male dominated profession and 'he' automatically used but I wouldn't do so in absence of other info. Though really the doctor's gender is likely irrelevant.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

We switched from thee and thou to the plural quite a while back, the basic driver being politeness; I think the increased use of "they" is occuring for roughly the same reasons. He/she is an abomination and demanding people's pronouns or using the wrong one seems crass, so much easier to use they.

PDH

Ahh for the good old days when we could just refer to people by their proper title, "fuckwads"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

I think Lord British mock Shakespearean is the language of culture.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2021, 10:01:02 AM
I didn't mean to imply that "they" was an answer to trans issues, I agree that it was an answer to the perception that a default "he" implies that all doctors are male.  I still don't hear it used in the business world, and garbon's first sentence (but not the second one) would likely sound unusual enough in that setting that I would probably notice.
I think there might be a bit of an Atlantic divide - because I have definitely seen "he/she" in documents and I feel they've all come from the US. I don't think either of the sentences Garbo mentioned would even be noticed here. I think we maybe reacted more to "he/she" - I think if anything that was seen as an over-the-top, very American "political correctness gone mad" but we slipped very casually into just using "they" instead.

(US lawyers generally have a reputation in the UK for being more formal/formalist/old-fashioned in their language, but obviously that also involves a fair amount of English lawyers congratulating themselves on the clarity and simplicity of their language :lol:)
Let's bomb Russia!

ulmont

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2021, 09:25:41 AM
I was thinking more of "they" as replacement for where you would use "he/she", or just "he" as default.  The first one sounds like a recent accepted use to me, the second one doesn't.  The doctor is a particular person, the bank is a nebulous entity.  Obviously you spoke with a person when you called the bank, but that person may as well stand in for the bank itself.

Let me give you Shakespeare using they with a person whose sex is known:  http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002748.html

And more including Emily Dickinson: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/singular-nonbinary-they

And Ursula K. Le Guin's, which is the best:

But back to the OP:  it's under some debate in the US now but common.

Sheilbh

I'd add that in terms of language I am a hard-core, extremist descriptivist. How people use language to communicate is what that language is, not a series of rules which people are failing. Obviously that means it does move around a lot over time.

So I don't care if "they" is only a plural pronoun, say, or about the less/fewer argument if that is no longer how they're used.

I take the entire resistance to personal pronouns expanding or shifting their meaning as a deeply suspicious, quite possibly French inspired and backed attempt by prescriptivists to take over English <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

What are your views on antidisestablishmentarianism?

PDH

Quote from: The Brain on November 19, 2021, 11:46:26 AM
As a floccinaucinihilipilificator I find that to be of little value.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2021, 06:24:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2021, 05:30:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2021, 04:02:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2021, 03:51:43 PM
Turns out faith is just a rhetorical tool of the American Right.

Fuck off.  It would've made my top 5.

You are not part of the American Right - unless something has changed.  And your one result would not change the results of that poll even if you were part of the American Right.

But your self identification with the American Right is noted.

Man, you have been in a bad mood since civilization started collapsing.

I call them as I see them.

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on November 19, 2021, 12:12:41 PM

:D

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on November 19, 2021, 12:12:41 PM

^_^

DGuller

I guess now the impunity for murder extends to right wingers who want to be cops, not merely the cops themselves.  I predict the celebration of the murders by the usual suspects to be nauseating even by 2021 standards.

Syt

For the train fans: the menu on Czech trains. Between Prague and Vienna it's always Happy Hour, so that means a good meal for under EUR 8, and 0.5 beer from tap or bottle for 1.80. :beer:

https://www.jidelnivozy.cz/uploads/menus/foodMenu/1.pdf
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2021, 02:00:38 PM
For the train fans: the menu on Czech trains. Between Prague and Vienna it's always Happy Hour, so that means a good meal for under EUR 8, and 0.5 beer from tap or bottle for 1.80. :beer:

https://www.jidelnivozy.cz/uploads/menus/foodMenu/1.pdf

I remember fondly my night trip from Warsaw to Prague back in the summer of 2005, the beer was really decent and half a litre was like less than an euro. :beer: