News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 28, 2021, 12:00:17 PM
Arbitrary division between vaguely defined "small" and "large" still does not make sense but it's WAD for the UK I guess.
It's not like a wider social. It's just the way I visualise things personally :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2021, 11:29:27 AM
Everything's always both :P

Except for roads I don't think purely imperial measurements have been a thing for 40 years. I've mentioned before but it is weird because I don't know about younger generations but my head is very much split between the two (small weight like for cooking, or measuring small distances = metric; large weight like people or long distances = imperial) I don't know why :hmm:

I still think in pounds and ounces for cooking if I'm not religiously following the instructions on the packaging ("so much per pound and so much over" for cooking times, for example.)

I will also interchange (albeit innacurately) yards and metres when dealing with small distances. Long distances are miles mostly over kilometres though.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

I used to do weight in stones when I was a kid. I never learned how pounds fit together with that as pounds were just never used.
I've absolutely never used ounces. Far more common is the unit of measurement known as a quarter. Sweets and drugs come in this amount. I believe it refers to a quarter ounce - though people. Will just say "4 quarters" if that's what they want.

It's funny but just yesterday I was driving in the countryside and saw a sign that said something was 200 yards away on the left. It struck me how odd this is. Usually you'd just see 0.1 miles. I haven't heard of anything measured in yards since I was a bairn.
Even my dad uses metric these days.

I think quarters, pints, and miles (and definitely mph) are about the only ones where ill use imperial as standard.

In other news

This happened.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/michael-gove-tried-avoid-paying-24863233

QuoteMichael Gove 'tried to avoid paying' £5 entry to Scots rave by saying 'I'm the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster'

:blink:
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

0.1 mile is not the same as 200 yards, rounding up, 161 m vs 183 m.

The joys of the archaic "imperial" system.  :lol:

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on August 30, 2021, 05:46:58 AM
It's funny but just yesterday I was driving in the countryside and saw a sign that said something was 200 yards away on the left. It struck me how odd this is. Usually you'd just see 0.1 miles. I haven't heard of anything measured in yards since I was a bairn.
Even my dad uses metric these days.

Yes 200 yards is a bit odd, far better if the sign had been rounded up by 20 yards to indicate '1 furlong' , that would make at lot more sense.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

"My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I like it!"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

In other news

This happened.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/michael-gove-tried-avoid-paying-24863233

QuoteMichael Gove 'tried to avoid paying' £5 entry to Scots rave by saying 'I'm the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster'

There's an impressive number of euphemisms in that article to avoid calling him drunk. :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

In the great tradition of British journalism - "tired and emotional" etc :lol:

I never thought I'd feel any common feeling with Michael Gove yet here we are :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Josquius

Gigs seem to be starting up again.
Already got my ticket to see Jarvis Cocker in November.
Arab Strap are coming next week. I'm tempted. But there's a weird psychological block in place about going out to the city centre again.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2021, 04:52:25 PM
In other news

This happened.

There's an impressive number of euphemisms in that article to avoid calling him drunk. :D

I thought the British didn't play gridiron football, yet it says Gove was surrounded by punters.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 30, 2021, 04:59:19 PM

I never thought I'd feel any common feeling with Michael Gove yet here we are :ph34r:

He's a single bloke out on the piss in his home town and he failed to get off with anyone...............probably the most relatable thing he's done for years  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 31, 2021, 10:02:46 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 30, 2021, 04:59:19 PM

He's a single bloke out on the piss in his home town and he failed to get off with anyone...............probably the most relatable thing he's done for years  :lol:
:lol:

Yeah I strongly felt this Marie LeConte piece:
QuoteI'm jealous of Michael Gove's night life. What on earth is happening?
Gove is the unexpected icon of this late summer. My next hangover will be on him, writes Marie Le Conte

Michael Gove was spotted at Pipe, a nightclub in Aberdeen
(Emma Hay/Facebook)

Writing about politics for a living often involves wondering what on earth you are doing with your life. From tedious Commons debates going well into the night to spats so silly they make you doubt your faith in democracy, Westminster provides more than its share of low points.

Today, I must admit, has been especially bad. For a start, I am writing this on a bank holiday Monday, while you are all out – I assume – downing shots, snogging strangers, or whatever it is people do on bank holidays. Secondly, I have had to deal, like everyone else, with the video of Michael Gove dancing in Aberdeen.

The story itself is very funny. He turned up in an O'Neills just before closing time and then, when the pub closed and "with a good few shandies in him", he went upstairs to a club called Pipe. Faced with an entry fee of a fiver, he argued he was the chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster so did not need to pay. Once in, "he spent the next hour and a half dancing almost non-stop despite the other, paying patrons often looking to engage him in spirited discussions about his government's policies".

I am – and it is unbelievably hard for me to write this – jealous of the nightlife of a cabinet minister. I, Marie Le Conte, just about clinging on to the remnants of my twenties, wish I'd had the night out of 54-year-old Michael Gove.

It isn't that he went dancing; I have recently done that too. No, what makes me green with envy is that he seemingly managed to have an entirely spontaneous night on the lash. He went for some drinks, clearly did not want the evening to end there, so headed to a pub alone, then somehow found himself dancing away in some random club. Can you remember the last time you did something even remotely as carefree?

Thousands of words have been devoted to our lost spontaneity in the past year and a half. Lockdowns, restrictive rules and ever-changing regulations meant that everything had to be planned, always, and that those plans would often be cancelled at the last minute. We spent much of those 18 months waiting for a time when life would feel normal again; when we would not have to plan every night out like it was a mini-break abroad. In fairness to the government, they did their part; just over a month ago, all restrictions were lifted.

Still, things do not quite feel normal yet. The "pingdemic" could be blamed for a while but even those rules have changed now, so there is no reason for people not to be spontaneous and carefree. Every social group will be different but, from where I stand, it looks like everyone is waiting for someone else to make the first step. Life is normal again, we've been told, but it will only feel like it once someone takes it upon themselves to jolt the rest of us into action. Not me though; you first.

I have no idea how or when we will come out of this state of quasi-limbo; I wonder if we need to live through a normal winter again before things feel good again. But then, maybe we do not have to; maybe Michael Gove, recently divorced and strategically boasting about being the chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, can show us the way. After all, a good night out does not need to be more than it is; if anything, it is usually at its most needed when everything else feels quite drab and dreary.

Here's to Gove then; the unexpected icon of this late summer. My next hangover will be on him.

Also "I'm Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster" is up there with the police finding the Bishop of Southwark drunk throwing things out of his car and when challenged he replied "I'm the Bishop of Southwark - it's what I do" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Comments seem split between its a calculated attempt to do a Boris and become endearingly naff or a mid life crisis/mental breakdown.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I think it's quite simply a divorced man whose had a few on holiday (and potentially Global Britain's growing Latin American trade) :P
Let's bomb Russia!