News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Some random insurance agent cold called me. 

As usual, I cut her off and said I'm not interested.

Utterly frustrated, she asked if I was already "completely covered". 

She couldn't be more wrong.  Actually, I am not insured.  If I die right now, my wife will not receive a single cent from any insurance company. 

I wanted to tell her that, just to piss her off to no end. 

But since she knew my name and phone number, I resisted the temptation, and just hung up. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2009, 09:35:26 PM

She couldn't be more wrong.  Actually, I am not insured.  If I die right now, my wife will not receive a single cent from any insurance company. 

But since she knew my name and phone number, I resisted the temptation, and just hung up.

You don't have insurance!  ???
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Neither does my wife.  It is...our gift for each other.  Our pledge of undying love  ;D

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 11, 2009, 09:39:46 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2009, 09:35:26 PM

Mono, do you only mean Life insurance or the full bang fire/stolen goods/etc?

I can see Life insurance being of no use to you nor your wife.

Tim, why do you have a life insurance?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Only life insurance.  I have fire, stolen goods, and medical. But not having life insurance is rare in Hong Kong.  I've read the financial planning cases of individuals in the newspapers for years.  I've yet to see anyone who isn't insured in one way or another.  A lot of people have multiple policies. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2009, 09:50:23 PM

Only life insurance.  I have fire, stolen goods, and medical. But not having life insurance is rare in Hong Kong.  I've read the financial planning cases of individuals in the newspapers for years.  I've yet to see anyone who isn't insured in one way or another.  A lot of people have multiple policies.

I think it's rare everywhere. I've got one, my gf has one. It's totally useless, no one suffers any lack of revenue if we both die. Next year, I ain't renewing it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

I think it's rare everywhere. I've got one, my gf has one. It's totally useless, no one suffers any lack of revenue if we both die. Next year, I ain't renewing it.

I've never bought any life insurance policies.  Has not, will not. 

lustindarkness

Posting with the PS3 controller is slow, g'nite .
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Oh those silly asians

QuoteColonel Sanders rescued from river after 24 years

By JAY ALABASTER, Associated Press Writer – Wed Mar 11, 1:47 am ET

Reuters  – The Colonel returns

AP – A Colonel Sanders statue which was found in a river is pictured in Osaka, western Japan Tuesday night, …

TOKYO – He was covered in mud when pulled from the river, and had lost both legs and hands, not to mention his glasses. But Colonel Sanders still had his trademark smile, 24 years later.

A statue of the KFC mascot has been found in a river in Osaka, a city official said Wednesday, nearly a quarter century after being tossed in by crazed baseball fans who felt the image of restaurant founder Harland Sanders resembled a key team member.

"He was apparently found standing upright, which is fitting, because although he was a nice man he could also be very strict and demanding," said Sumeo Yokakawa, a spokeswoman at the chain's Tokyo headquarters.

She said the statue was taken from a nearby KFC restaurant and tossed in the river as part of a celebration by baseball fans in 1985, the year Osaka's baseball team, the Hanshin Tigers, won the national championship.

Local fans thought the Colonel bore a resemblance to Randy Bass, a bearded power hitter and first baseman from the U.S. who played for the team at the time.

Fans often jump into the murky river to celebrate the team's successes, but there has been little to celebrate in recent years. Many fans feel the team has been plagued by the "curse of Colonel Sanders" since his effigy was submerged in 1985.

It has failed to win a national championship since, although it did win its division in 2003.

The upper half of the statue was found Tuesday in Osaka's Dotonburi River during construction work to build a new walkway, according to city official Hideo Yuko. His legs and right hand were found Wednesday morning.

The colonel will be kept in police custody for the time being, but Yokakawa said KFC is considering donating him to the home stadium of the Tigers in Osaka. The store where he originally stood has since closed.

The KFC chain currently operates about 1,160 restaurants in Japan, and has about 1,000 Colonel Sanders statues in the country.

Osaka, Japan's second-largest city after Tokyo, is located about 260 miles (420 kilometers) west of the capital.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Mikael Hakim

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2009, 09:55:08 PM

I've never bought any life insurance policies.  Has not, will not. 

I got the one the army gave me.
Close to half a million to my wife if hajj finally manages to do the deed.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

HVC

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 11, 2009, 10:57:25 PM
Posting with the PS3 controller is slow, g'nite .
I can't get onto Languish using my PS3.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Monoriu

Just went through every shelf in a drug store to find the stuff I need.  Lost count of how many "how can I help yous" that I dodged.  I hate talking to people, especially strangers.  I can find whatever I want to find myself. 

Finally located the goods after 20 minutes of searching. 

"These boxes are empty.  Please consult staff for purchase"

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on March 12, 2009, 01:01:07 AM
Just went through every shelf in a drug store to find the stuff I need.  Lost count of how many "how can I help yous" that I dodged.  I hate talking to people, especially strangers.  I can find whatever I want to find myself. 

Finally located the goods after 20 minutes of searching. 

"These boxes are empty.  Please consult staff for purchase"

:)

I'm so the same way!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.