Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on March 11, 2021, 12:20:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 11, 2021, 12:14:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2021, 12:13:28 PM
If you have no grammar in english class. What do you do in English class?

Read literature.

written in english no longer spoken :D

Reminds me of the status of some of the French used in literature classes. Not surprising for medieval French or Rabelais though.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on March 11, 2021, 12:20:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 11, 2021, 12:14:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2021, 12:13:28 PM
If you have no grammar in english class. What do you do in English class?

Read literature.

written in english no longer spoken :D
:lol: But only from when you're about 14. Before then it was books like When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, Stig of the Dump, Noughts and Crosses and poets like Carol Ann Duffy (In Mrs Tilscher's Class :wub:) and Allan Ahlberg.

I imagine it's different books/writers now. And possibly given Gove children are mainly reading early modern lit :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 11, 2021, 12:28:46 PM
I recall writing essays and lots of comprehension exercises.

That makes sense, but as I said I'm still struggling to recall anything meaningful from those classes; maybe why I got my worst O-level pass grade for it, a C.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

i vaguely recall in elementary school, say grade 4 through 6, going over grammar and spelling. a lot of good it did me haha. then after that it just sort of disappeared. Being replaced with reading and essays. And in grade 7 calligraphy, of all things. i also moved around a lot, so i don't know if that was normal curriculum or just the side effect of moving between school boards. i also went to catholic school, which further muddies the waters.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

What I remember from my english classes is...grammar.

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2021, 08:45:03 AM
Nice dual-purpose exam. Makes sure the kids are intelligent and able to form coherent arguments AND they're suitably Conservative.

Yeah, the first part has some pretty "if you don't answer this the way we like, you ain't coming anywhere near Eton, you fucking commie bastard" questions.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on March 11, 2021, 03:33:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2021, 08:45:03 AM
Nice dual-purpose exam. Makes sure the kids are intelligent and able to form coherent arguments AND they're suitably Conservative.

Yeah, the first part has some pretty "if you don't answer this the way we like, you ain't coming anywhere near Eton, you fucking commie bastard" questions.

I'm pretty sure a lot of literal future communists went to Eton in that time period.

Edit:

Found one!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Burgess was an Etonian and later a Soviet agent.  Would have gone there in the 20s though, but still.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

So, anyone want to take a crack at the Lincoln/Cromwell question?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2021, 03:37:17 PM
I'm pretty sure a lot of literal future communists went to Eton in that time period.
Oh not just that time period - we've still got loads of public school communists. Lots of them became Corbyn advisors :lol: <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2021, 03:42:50 PM
Oh not just that time period - we've still got loads of public school communists. Lots of them became Corbyn advisors :lol: <_<

Yeah, that was my across-the-pond impression of places like that.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 11, 2021, 03:38:25 PM
So, anyone want to take a crack at the Lincoln/Cromwell question?

This is Languish...just start its own thread, it'll garner a lot of discussion and it'll ACW-hijack (if anyone can hijack with the ACW in a thread with an ACW figure, it is us) in no time.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2021, 03:56:39 PM

Surely they're more poshos who grew a conscience (though were sadly naiive) rather than scholarship kids?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2021, 06:32:39 PM

Surely they're more poshos who grew a conscience (though were sadly naiive) rather than scholarship kids?

:rolleyes::

Josquius

What?
Checking up on the famous Burgess... Wow yes. Right from his name it's clear that's his box.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2021, 06:32:39 PM

My impression is that the vast majority of Communists who "grew a conscience" in 1991 were merely trying to disassociate themselves from their team after it lost the Cold War. You don't have a major change of basic values as an adult.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.