And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2021, 02:16:12 PM
If you want to watch a Hungarian Johnny Cash tribute band live streaming, this is your chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2EGXzf_8yJS5eoTZ0ijranRO1iiSc5dcK-cgtP1Zwd47gux5ZQBzBkfhA&v=WRMixfEZC2A&feature=youtu.be

Goddamn, I'm sad I missed it...will have to comfort myself with the replay.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Browse the IKEA catalogs since the 1950s at your leisure:

https://ikeamuseum.com/sv/ikea-kataloger/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Just read a story about research into a mRNA vaccine against malaria (I have a malaria researcher friend so will check if it's legit). But I wonder if one positive side effect of covid will be more research/investment in vaccines and new possibilities using the mRNA technology?

It seems like a malaria vaccine could be a huge deal for some parts of the world.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Malaria is a single called organism, not a virus. Wonder how a mRNA vaccine would work?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

In theory, mRNA vaccines can be used to teach your immune system a lot of things. Fighting a precise cells is one. Apparently, it could also be used tonight cancers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I've just learned that Barclays Bank is starting to allow all of it's customers to use a custom image on their card when it renews.
Seems pretty cool.
I look forward to a summary of some of the most humorous designs that incorporate the information on the card.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Here in Iceland we've now had unprecedented and continous earthquake activity with hundreds of 3's and dozens and dozens of 4's here in the Reykjanes peninsula for about a week now. Satellite measurements show the landscape being pushed up in a particular area by a lava stream coming up from below. Should see in the next days whether it'll die down or erupt. Thankfully the area is remote. Historical lava flows in the 13th century weren't big but the area had decades of volcanic activity before going silent for 800 years. Still, it'll be a hell of a view for incoming travelers landing in Iceland if it does go off.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Ugh.  Mental illness can have it's downsides.  I mean, sure, the pay is great and the universal respect is nice, but having intrusive thoughts in the middle of the night can be annoying.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2021, 11:30:15 AM
Ugh.  Mental illness can have it's downsides.  I mean, sure, the pay is great and the universal respect is nice, but having intrusive thoughts in the middle of the night can be annoying.

Raz, those are just other people's posts on Languish.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2021, 11:30:15 AM

:hug:

I'm sorry.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Legbiter on March 02, 2021, 08:45:00 AM
Here in Iceland we've now had unprecedented and continous earthquake activity with hundreds of 3's and dozens and dozens of 4's here in the Reykjanes peninsula for about a week now. Satellite measurements show the landscape being pushed up in a particular area by a lava stream coming up from below. Should see in the next days whether it'll die down or erupt. Thankfully the area is remote. Historical lava flows in the 13th century weren't big but the area had decades of volcanic activity before going silent for 800 years. Still, it'll be a hell of a view for incoming travelers landing in Iceland if it does go off.

I wanna visit Iceland. :( It was on my list. :cry:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

A lot of the volcanoes at the minute appear to be acting out. I saw a thing on the BBC website of Etna going wild.

I hope something's not up :ph34r: (What if we just misread the Mayan calendar? :o :ph34r: :hmm:)
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

When either the Siberian Traps or the Deccan Traps fire up again I will get worried.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM