News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Plenty of room for an island or bar.  Builders fucked up.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2021, 03:31:31 PM
Plenty of room for an island or bar.  Builders fucked up.
The problem with islands or bars is that they're wasting space, just like a separate kitchen does.  Here, when you don't need that space for kitchen stuff, you can use it for other things, or just to feel like you have a lot of space in your apartment.  The island would block off the space opposite the counters, so it's not useful for anything else.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2021, 03:28:29 PM
That's kinda like what my brother has at his place, and it's more convenient that you'd think. It's not as if you need a humongous kitchen or anything.
:yes: Until I started living in a setup like this last year, I thought this was one of the modern ways to cheapening out on construction.  I didn't realize it's a more practical layout, especially for apartments, where square footage is limited, so whatever you use for a separate kitchen you cannot use for something else.

Syt

Open kitchen integrated into the living area is quite common in apartments here. The setups can vary. E.g. in my current apartment it's a small "annex" to the living area, in some it's completely open, in others you have a counter top between kitchen and living area. I was highly skeptical at first, but it is pretty convenient and saves space.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I have a similar arrangement with a kitchen island and it works great. The island also provides additional storage space.

Razgovory

I'm like Dguller, I don't need a big kitchen because I don't do much food prep.

"hmm, I ran out of space.  I'll just set the blueberries down on the raw chicken.  Nobody has to know".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:17:18 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2021, 03:03:11 PM
That is a frighteningly small amount of counter space for that "kitchen".
:( That's exactly how much counter space I have in my kitchen.  Which incidentally is also part of a living room wall.  In practice, that's a much better arrangement than having a separate kitchen, IMO, I enjoy my kitchen in the living room a lot more than I ever enjoyed separate kitchens in my previous apartments.

Don't get me wrong, I like the design and doing away with a separate kitchen that's walled off, etc., but that is nowhere near as much counter space as I would need for a typical meal.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

How much space do you need for a normal meal, really?

DGuller

You must have a much bigger appetite than I do. :unsure:

The Larch

We've done a couple of Christmas dinners at my brother's place. It's perfectly possible to make a large meal in that amount of space. You have to be efficient and can't leave tons of stuff lying around, but it's doable.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:50:20 PM

More like more appliances.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2021, 03:54:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:50:20 PM

More like more appliances.
Good point, you have to be very selective with appliances, those do kill valuable space.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:37:47 PM
The problem with islands or bars is that they're wasting space, just like a separate kitchen does.  Here, when you don't need that space for kitchen stuff, you can use it for other things, or just to feel like you have a lot of space in your apartment.  The island would block off the space opposite the counters, so it's not useful for anything else.

Other things like what, a dance floor?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2021, 03:56:56 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:37:47 PM

Other things like what, a dance floor?
Pacing around, for example.  Putting up a temporary table and giving people on all side enough space (obviously more of a consideration in non-Covid times).  Assembling your Ikea furniture.  Getting a sense of roominess.