And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 05, 2021, 08:04:24 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 05, 2021, 03:37:42 AM
Looking at google maps Handforth is a place of small detached houses; it is very near to Manchester airport and has a miniature railway. Clearly a place populated by Tories, kippers and retired accountants with Orcish tendencies. There may be a lot of golfers too.

So, from my point of view, the fifth circle of Hell.
South Manchester/Wilmslowy bit of Cheshire. V suspicious.

Cheshire is really in the Midlands  :mad:

On a more positive note I'm now thinking of Cheshire cheese and this is the best I've found  https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/products/applebys-cheshire
Really delightful and nothing like the industrial shrink-wrapped Cheshires.

The Larch

Quote from: Agelastus on February 05, 2021, 08:07:38 AMIn my Aunt's case it was because of her job many, many years ago.

Where does/did she work? It'd be quite the coincidence if it was the same place that my mother had to go to on her trips.  :lol:

Razgovory

Kroger is closing two stores in California because the local city council passed a law mandating "hero pay" for people who work in grocery stores (and presumably other occupations with come in contact with covid on a regular basis).  It's an increase of 4 bucks. <_<

I think I'll go to Schnuck's for a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Golden Earring' guitar player announces he has ALS, ending the band's 60 year run with the original line-up.
The only decent rock band we ever produced  :cry:

Agelastus

Quote from: The Larch on February 05, 2021, 09:19:20 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 05, 2021, 08:07:38 AMIn my Aunt's case it was because of her job many, many years ago.

Where does/did she work? It'd be quite the coincidence if it was the same place that my mother had to go to on her trips.  :lol:

Ward Sister at the hospital; working mainly night shifts.

Her husband an ex-ICI Chemist turned Science Teacher.

So if your mother's travels were for work I think it unlikely their paths crossed.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Larch

Quote from: Agelastus on February 05, 2021, 11:52:07 AM

So if your mother's travels were for work I think it unlikely their paths crossed.

My mom was also a chemist at ICI.  :lol:

Agelastus

Quote from: The Larch on February 05, 2021, 01:49:22 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 05, 2021, 11:52:07 AM

My mom was also a chemist at ICI.  :lol:

Well, people are always saying "it's a small world"... :lol:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on February 05, 2021, 11:48:36 AM
Golden Earring' guitar player announces he has ALS, ending the band's 60 year run with the original line-up.

:(

But you guys still have Alquin.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Pretty nice article about people hunting down original samples to build high-fidelity versions of videogame soundtracks of yesteryear.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/02/super-high-fidelity-mario-the-quest-to-find-original-gaming-audio-samples/

Some of the examples given are pretty damn great. Always loved Super Metroid's OST.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on February 05, 2021, 06:40:02 PM
Quote from: Maladict on February 05, 2021, 11:48:36 AM

:(

But you guys still have Alquin.

They reformed in the 00s but I don't think they are around anymore.

Syt

Last week, police was "overwhelmed" because thousands of Corona deniers were protesting in Vienna and could do little to prevent them from gathering illegally. A few token arrests and fines, but not more. The gathering was not a surprise, and police had ample warning ahead of the date.

This week, a few hundred school kids have registered a protest against a recent deportation of asylum seekers who, for all intents and purposes, grew up in Vienna (came here as babies/toddlers with their mother, process till deportation took 11 years). Police will be there en masse, with support contingents brought in from the neighboring states of Lower Austria and Burgenland.

:rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Police are always overwhelmed when it comes to policing their ideological brethren. Kettling up lefties is familiar routine enough that they tread on familiar grounds.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

This made me laugh more than it should:

:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

My film history professor gave us a similar "welcome" in our first day of film school.

Her: Do you love watching movies, sci-fi, weterns, action films, thrillers, dramas....?
Us: Yes!
Her: Well, I'm sorry to tell you that you will stop doing it!