News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Savonarola on January 22, 2021, 02:39:03 PMDoes Canada have any other regional sandwiches than Montreal smoked meat or Toronto's peameal bacon?

You can find guedilles in many places in eastern Quebec (more or less a variation on  chicken sandwich salad/lobster roll) and I grew up with fried bologna sandwiches in Montreal which I never found elsewhere.   

Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 22, 2021, 03:46:06 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 22, 2021, 02:39:03 PMDoes Canada have any other regional sandwiches than Montreal smoked meat or Toronto's peameal bacon?

You can find guedilles in many places in eastern Quebec (more or less a variation on  chicken sandwich salad/lobster roll) and I grew up with fried bologna sandwiches in Montreal which I never found elsewhere.

My dad described growing up eating fried bologna sandwiches and made them a handful of times for us as kids.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on January 22, 2021, 03:53:30 PM
My dad described growing up eating fried bologna sandwiches and made them a handful of times for us as kids.

Ever since I've returned, I have been waiting to go back there: http://top2000.ca/wilenskys/ENG_TABLE_WELCOME.htm

PDH

On the Central Coast of California it is tri-tip sandwiches that everyone has to riff on.  There are smothered, pulled, bare bones, loaded, impossible to eat without 2 tons of compression to make it fit in your mouth, etc.

Even little hole in the wall places or mountain grocery store seems to sell their variations - I haven't had a bad one yet, though I know they are out there...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2021, 06:50:52 AM
I love pastrami and corned beef (both UK and US varieties) :ph34r:

But obviously it needs mustard and pickles - which is probably against the rules.

Mustard on pastrami and corned beef *is* the rule, unless it's a Reuben.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2021, 02:53:52 PM
Grumbler, is there a streaming service where we can get B5?
in Canada? no.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Not cheaply.  I have the DVDs, so watch those. Amazon has the series at like $25/season or $2 an episode.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk

Quote from: grumbler on January 22, 2021, 07:06:28 PM

Not cheaply.  I have the DVDs, so watch those. Amazon has the series at like $25/season or $2 an episode.

My last watch of Babylon 5 was on the short lived Go 90 network, which had them online for free.

Jacob

Oexmelin

crazy canuck

Hopefully when Covid is over you can find an excuse to come visit us in Vancouver  :)

Jacob

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Russian anti-government protest:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.