News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

For what it's worth the Royal family also do that sort of stuff because their Christmas traditions are still German (I think imported by Prince Albert) - so in many ways you'll just be doing the most elite British Christmas traditions :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2020, 09:54:50 AM
Quote from: PDH on November 12, 2020, 09:28:47 AM
By international law, Christmas Trees must remain up through my birthday, January 7th.  This law was passed when I was young to remind me that I got less presents having been born 13 days after Christmas.

At least you got presents - try December 30th you ingrate.

I never had much issue with December 18th. My family must have been unusual.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

PDH

By international law, Christmas Trees must remain up through my birthday, January 7th.  This law was passed when I was young to remind me that I got less presents having been born 13 days after Christmas.

I thought I made it clear this is about me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2020, 04:10:56 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2020, 03:41:35 AM
Interesting tag line on this Monopoly variant:

https://shop.hasbro.com/en-ca/product/monopoly-for-millennials-board-game:441D164A-4E09-477A-892C-F6A5CE9202A4

QuoteDescription

Money doesn't always buy a great time, but experiences, whether they're good -- or weird -- last forever. The Monopoly for Millennials game celebrates just that. Instead of collecting as much cash as possible, players are challenged to rack up the most Experiences to win. Travel around the gameboard discovering and visiting cool places to eat, shop, and relax. Interact with other players via Chance and Community Chest cards, (which are super relatable). And players don't pay rent -- they visit one another, earning more Experience points. This board game is a great way to bring a fun and relaxed vibe to a party or casual get-together.

• Includes: Gameboard, 6 Tokens, 16 Destination Cards, 16 Chance Cards, 16 Community Chest Cards, 64 Experience Chips, Money Pack, 2 Dice, and Game Guide.

• Adulting is hard; take a break from the rat race with this edition of the Monopoly game
• This Monopoly game is a great choice for Millennials who need a break from the life of adulting; great for parties and get-togethers
• Collect Experience points by visiting the hottest Destinations -- from your Friend's Couch, to the Vegan Bistro, to a Week-Long Meditation Retreat
• Collect money from players who visit the Destinations you discovered first
• In this version of the Monopoly game, the player who collects the most Experience -- not the most money -- wins the game

• Ages 8 and up
• For 2 to 4 players.

I have a feeling they did not consult Millennials when they designed this game. :P

Seems aimed at boomers to me.

Cause that's what old people want, new versions of Monopoly?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 12, 2020, 10:47:35 AM
Yes! Someone is buying those tourist editions of Monopoly for every city in the world :P
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on November 12, 2020, 10:34:24 AM

:lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Agelastus on November 12, 2020, 10:17:19 AM

That is a lot better.  It is before, so not an after thought.  Being caught between Xmas and New Years, in January I often got - hey right, your birthday, um wasnt that a great joint Xmas/early b-day present you got.

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2020, 06:17:18 AM
So given lockdown and everything's quite grim and boring....is it too soon to put up Christmas decorations/get a Christmas tree? :ph34r:

It's never too soon in my world. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

I have my place decked out for Thanksgiving.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Additionally, international law, as stated by my mother, Christmas shouldn't begin until after my birthday of December 13th.

However, as I am integral to this law, I've amended it to be "put up the decorations whenever you want". :)

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on November 12, 2020, 10:34:24 AM

*ahem*

As the sole woman here, it is and must continue to be about me.  :sleep:

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 12, 2020, 02:38:05 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on November 12, 2020, 10:17:19 AM

That is a lot better.  It is before, so not an after thought.  Being caught between Xmas and New Years, in January I often got - hey right, your birthday, um wasnt that a great joint Xmas/early b-day present you got.

I clearly had crappy parents.  <_< I don't know how many birthday/xmas presents I got over the years....

Barrister

No Christmas lights until after Remembrance Day, and tree must stay up until Ukrainian Christmas.

I have spoken.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 12, 2020, 10:47:35 AM

:hmm:
There's also a Sailor Moon Monopoly, for what it's worth.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2020, 09:51:07 AM
2 out of 7?

You have a giant mansion, you don't have to stare at them all the time I figure. ;)
Every year we've been here, Emily has insisted on getting another one. :lol:  The newest one is the dining room Christmas tree.

This year she decided not to put up* the giant 15 footer, since it's so much effort and we won't be having a Christmas party due to COVID.

* translation: make me put up
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points