News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2020, 07:18:24 PM
I've been following the NXIVM story for a while and still just don't understand it. I can normally get that a cult has some sort of beliefs or other that reinforce the leaders' power but this one is, from what I understand, a pyramid-selling scheme with the leaders acting like cult leaders which I just find kind of crazy that it had that power. I don't understand.

I was listening to a podcast on it.  Not all cults are religious - this one was more self-help focused.  Several people even to this day swear that NXIVM helped them at least initially.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2020, 10:00:23 PM
I've been following the NXIVM story for a while and still just don't understand it. I can normally get that a cult has some sort of beliefs or other that reinforce the leaders' power but this one is, from what I understand, a pyramid-selling scheme with the leaders acting like cult leaders which I just find kind of crazy that it had that power. I don't understand.

I was listening to a podcast on it.  Not all cults are religious - this one was more self-help focused.  Several people even to this day swear that NXIVM helped them at least initially.
Yeah - maybe a bit like Scientology at the start. I just can't work out what they were selling - what the con was. Like what type of self-help, how it helped etc.

What's the podcast? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2020, 10:12:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2020, 10:00:23 PM

Yeah - maybe a bit like Scientology at the start. I just can't work out what they were selling - what the con was. Like what type of self-help, how it helped etc.

What's the podcast? :hmm:

Quillette podcast, which is kind of hit-or-miss for me, but this one was interesting.

The interviewee specifically mentioned that NXIVM outright borrowed/stole several elements from Scientology.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I'm sure this is mostly bollocks, but fun map:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Even Wiki is dubious about the Austria claim.

QuoteThe claims of the Stiftskeller's age are based on the writings of English scholar Alcuin of York, who served Emperor Charlemagne and Bishop Arno of Salzburg. In his Carmina anthology, issued in 803, the monastery's cellar and its beer are possibly praised in a poem.[1][dubious – discuss] The former guesthouse of the Benedictine monks was also mentioned by the Monk of Salzburg in the 14th century.[citation needed]

Based on these and other claims, the Stiftskulinarium is perhaps the oldest existing restaurant in the world, and likely the oldest in Europe.[citation needed] Christopher Columbus, Johann Georg Faust, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart are said to have been served at the restaurant.[citation needed]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

What's the Turkish one? Don't understand the pictrogram.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 28, 2020, 09:24:23 AM
What's the Turkish one? Don't understand the pictrogram.

Hamami?

Probably a steam bath/spa.

EDIT: It is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%87emberlita%C5%9F_Hamam%C4%B1
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Not really equivalent to an aqueduct then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 28, 2020, 10:50:00 AM

Aqueduct?  :huh:

If you mean the pictogram:

Then it seems like a stylized version of this room which is in many pictures all over the web when you search for this place:

Is no one here bothering to do some basic Google searching any more FFS? Bunch of lazy bastards. Fuck you.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

I'm referring to the hammam being an aqueduct replacement in civ.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2020, 10:56:11 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 28, 2020, 10:50:00 AM

Aqueduct?  :huh:

If you mean the pictogram:

Then it seems like a stylized version of this room which is in many pictures all over the web when you search for this place:

(snip)

Is no one here bothering to do some basic Google searching any more FFS? Bunch of lazy bastards. Fuck you.

Only on Languish is everyone a bunch of lazy bastards because they don't know what a place is when, if you know what it is, you can find a gazillion pictures of it through a google search.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I didn't know what it was, either, so I googled it. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

So did Sean's Bar in Ireland ever have to shut down early due to Viking raids?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."