News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

My DVD rests with a few others with an ex-girlfriend. <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on May 01, 2020, 12:48:40 PM

Well you could always dig'em back up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Watching Space Jam. I remember that film was awesome when I was a kid.
The baseball bit I couldn't remember. Brings to mind something I've wondered about in the past - so in baseball you can choose not to try to hit a ball and then it doesn't count as a strike unless...something? A foul is only a foul if you stand still?
And the umpire is on the batting teams side or is the point there that it was all a fix for Jordan?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

If the pitch is outside the strike zone and the batter doesn't swing, then it's not a strike but a ball. 4 balls earn you a walk, i.e. you get to advance to first base.

A foul is when you hit the ball, but it ends up outside the extended lines between home base and 3rd and 1st base, respectively.  A foul is considered a strike, but only if you have less than two strikes, i.e. you can't strike out on a foul. You can still be put out on a foul if an opposing player catches the ball before it hits the ground,  IIRC.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Huh. Fall ball means something different in baseball. Didn't realise that.

But if you move when the ball is outside of the strike zone it still counts as a strike?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2020, 03:37:50 PMBut if you move when the ball is outside of the strike zone it still counts as a strike?

Yes. Which is why pitchers use pitches that change direction to make it hard for the batter to see whether it's inside or outside the zone (plus fastballs that are thrown for maximum velocity). A lot of psyhology goes into the duel between pitcher and batter.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2020, 01:07:23 PM

Badaddum-ti... wait he's serious isn't he?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2020, 03:18:37 PM
Watching Space Jam. I remember that film was awesome when I was a kid.
The baseball bit I couldn't remember. Brings to mind something I've wondered about in the past - so in baseball you can choose not to try to hit a ball and then it doesn't count as a strike unless...something? A foul is only a foul if you stand still?
And the umpire is on the batting teams side or is the point there that it was all a fix for Jordan?

Quote from: Syt on May 01, 2020, 03:27:37 PM
If the pitch is outside the strike zone and the batter doesn't swing, then it's not a strike but a ball. 4 balls earn you a walk, i.e. you get to advance to first base.

A foul is when you hit the ball, but it ends up outside the extended lines between home base and 3rd and 1st base, respectively.  A foul is considered a strike, but only if you have less than two strikes, i.e. you can't strike out on a foul. You can still be put out on a foul if an opposing player catches the ball before it hits the ground,  IIRC.

This is interesting, watching a Germany explain to Brit about an American sport.

I :wub: Languish.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on May 01, 2020, 05:31:00 PM

This is interesting, watching a Germany explain to Brit about an American sport.

I :wub: Languish.

:D

Though Syt is in part culturally American.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Explains the time I was roped in to play baseball in Japan. Kid threw the ball miles out but still I only got 3 chances to try to hit it. In rounders and cricket you don't have that rule.
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2020, 01:07:23 PM

:lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2020, 03:37:50 PM
Huh. Fall ball means something different in baseball. Didn't realise that.

But if you move when the ball is outside of the strike zone it still counts as a strike?

Not if you just move, you have to swing the bat.

There's also the check swing, when the batter starts his swing but changes his mind and tries to stop.  The rule is if the head of the bat goes out past the front of the plate it's a swing.  If he stops before then it's not a swing.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Is that a pork chop or a chicken thigh?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

My son spotted the raisins on hamburger picture - his reaction was hilarious.

I asked him if he would like them served that way, he remarked that they reminded him of dark maggots. 😄

(He actually likes raisins, but hates when they are added to things like bread - he always picks them out to eat separate.)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius