And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 13, 2019, 02:40:58 AM
Jesu Christo, those high end Lego sets could buy you a used car.  :wacko:

You would not want to get lego for a one year old anyway - choking hazard.  Valmy's suggestions are best.

Tonitrus

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2019, 12:22:46 PM
Lego has really morphed into more of an adult toy line / collectibles company, than a true toy company.

That is sadly also true of the action figure world. Nostalgia & collecting drives everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 13, 2019, 01:21:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2019, 12:22:46 PM
Lego has really morphed into more of an adult toy line / collectibles company, than a true toy company.

That is sadly also true of the action figure world. Nostalgia & collecting drives everything.

If you let kids play with the toys they will be ruined :o

:P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

I am out of tune with modern lego sets - I remember having fun with a big box of assorted blocks, from which you could make anything; modern sets are like model kits - you have to follow instructions to the letter, and you can only make one thing. It's a totally different toy concept. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
I am out of tune with modern lego sets - I remember having fun with a big box of assorted blocks, from which you could make anything; modern sets are like model kits - you have to follow instructions to the letter, and you can only make one thing. It's a totally different toy concept.

My kids love getting lego sets.  They'll follow the directions, play with the toy, it'll eventually get destroyed, then the bricks just wind up in a generic bin which they use to build whatever with.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

We have a full laundry basket of such lego pieces.  They will be handed down to the next generation.  :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2019, 01:36:01 PM

My kids love getting lego sets.  They'll follow the directions, play with the toy, it'll eventually get destroyed, then the bricks just wind up in a generic bin which they use to build whatever with.
I think that was the same for me - I distinctly remember a pirate ship I made following the instructions exactly once. Then it all joined the general Lego set.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2019, 04:56:58 PM

I think that was the same for me - I distinctly remember a pirate ship I made following the instructions exactly once. Then it all joined the general Lego set.

It was different for me though.  I can only think of a handful of lego sets that I had: there was a castle and some kind of spaceship.

I made and remade that castle and spaceship multiple times.

But my boys have so many lego sets you'd never be able to find the one particular doohickey you need to rebuild any of those sets.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2019, 04:56:58 PM

I was just before lego became popular in the UK, so I had Meccano.  :bowler:

Similar build once, dismantle and mix in with all the rest effect though.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

God I just had a flashback to the absolute contempt I felt for Meccano when I got a set. I also think it was far too complicated and engineeringy for me :blush:

Edit : I really hated that Meccano set. Could not work out what was meant to be enjoyable about using a spanner.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Just shipped the Lego Y-wing fighter for the 6 year old and a stuffed Jungle Book(c) Baloo for the 1 year old.

Was disappointed they didn't have any Pogo characters.  :cry:

Eddie Teach

I didn't have Legos, made do with Lincoln logs and tinker toys.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I had Legos. But my favorite stuff was Playmobil.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I took a look at Lincoln Logs, but the kits they had were really underwhelming for the price.