News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Was that "skotten i Sarajevo", Gavrilo McPrincip?

Uh-huh-huh. Huh-huh.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I admit I slightly prefer the HRE regalia at the treasure chamber. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

The Friedrich II Hohenstaufen coronation robe and a weird Byzantine bowl is what I remember from the treasure chamber.

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on June 27, 2019, 04:10:29 PM
The Friedrich II Hohenstaufen coronation robe and a weird Byzantine bowl is what I remember from the treasure chamber.

:o

You don't remember the crowns of the HRE and the Austrian Empire?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

About Vienna, I remember too the sword of Skanderbeg, the Albanian national hero. :)

Plus the mini 88 flak gun on a desk at the entrance. ;)

PS: added the sword and the goat helmet for the Brain.

Syt

Also, Skanderbeg's helmet.

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on June 27, 2019, 04:10:29 PM
The Friedrich II Hohenstaufen coronation robe
Wait what? Did I miss that? :unsure:

Threviel

Now that I see them, yes. I remember thinking that they were not very impressive.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Sheep go to heaven. Tom Brady, go to hell.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I remember Japanese TV as being utterly boring. Nothing but D-list celebrities watching people eat, poor production value news programmes, etc...

Here's something I didn't see. A while before my time. Very interesting. Old Boy made real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_o8v88nkKc
██████
██████
██████

Syt

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:3293980 (contains zoomable map that lets you read all map labels more clearly - e.g. the Great Lakes have been renamed after beers - Pilsner, Lager, Münchner, Culmbacher, Hofbräu, Salt Lake City is Salzlakenburg, one city is Wienerschnitzelplatz etc.)

QuoteA broadside issued in 1916 by the American Rights Committee in an effort to overcome isolationist sentiment insisting on continued neutrality in the ongoing European War. The U.S. has been renamed New Prussia, and American city names have been replaced with German (or Germanized) versions. Washington is New Berlin, Chicago is Schlauterhaus, and Boston is Kulturplatz. Denverburg and Salzlakenburg are presumably German, but Florida has become Turconia, California has become Japonica, and the northwest is dominated by Nagaseattle and New Kobe. New Mexico is an "American Reservation" in Der Grosse Desert. This handbill reproduces an actual cover of Life Magazine; see ID #2160.
The American Rights Committee was a group of distinguished New Yorkers, led by "George Haven Putnam, the well-known publisher." In a "great mass meeting" at Carnegie Hall on March 13, 1916, the Committee condemned the "Prussian Imperial Militarism" that "has brought about the subjugation of the people of Germany to an ambitious and unscrupulous autocracy and the corruption of the ancient German ideals through a dream of World-dominion," including "the crushing of friendly nations and the subjection of their peoples to a brutal and cruel military rule" and "practices of unprecedented barbarity." Accordingly, the Committee "Resolved, That the safety and honour of the American people and their duty to defend and maintain the rights of humanity require us to approve the cause for which the Entente Allies are fighting, and to extend to these Allies by any means in our power, not only sympathy, but direct co-operation at the proper time, to the end that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." The Outlook, March 22, 1916, pp. 646, 666-67
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Japonica? Wrong war, guys.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 29, 2019, 04:19:22 PM
Japonica? Wrong war, guys.

:secret:  None of the stuff on the map is real.  Racism against the Japanese was very prevalent in the Pacific West of the US from the 19th C on.  The 1894 treaty allowing unrestricted Japanese emigration to the US was greeted with hysteria in California.  In 1906 San Francisco barred Japanese students from attending schools with whites, and this lead to the 1907 "Gentlemen's Agreement" that the Japanese government would restrict emigration to the US.

See: https://history.state.gov/milestones/1899-1913/japanese-relations
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!