News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2019, 09:23:37 AM
Poor people have leisure time, and they can afford low calorie food. Veggies still aren't that expensive.

If you can find it. A lot of poor people live in a fresh food desert. Especially small town America that were served by a now closing Walmart.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2019, 10:09:15 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 19, 2019, 10:02:14 AM
I have seen or read that veggies is actually hard to come by in poorer areas of the US. Propaganda or sometging to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert

The map with that is highly misleading, I think.  I would have assumed that those "fresh food deserts" were largely in poor inner-city areas.  The areas shown as being the worst on that map are largely rural areas;  those aren't places where the only local store is a convenience store that doesn't have much in the way of fresh food--there places where there aren't any stores, period--but where lots of people have veggie gardens, if they aren't farmers in the first place.

Threviel

But what about frozen? Nutritionally it's often superior to fresh.

Oexmelin

No. It's says "no car and no supermarket". Your farmers will have a car. These are poor rural populations, or populations living in small communities, in addition to inner city food deserts.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Threviel on June 19, 2019, 10:51:15 AM
But what about frozen? Nutritionally it's often superior to fresh.

In most of these places, you'll only have highly processed food, or cans. It's abysmal.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Poor people have leisure time, and they can afford low calorie food. Veggies still aren't that expensive.

Would be nice if that was true.

The working poor work long hours and often multiple jobs/ weekends/ stat holidays/ etc.  Of course the unemployed will have more time away from work.  But that isn't exactly a solution is it  ;) 

And junk food is far more affordable.  Veggies are in fact relatively expensive and in some areas not accessible.

QuoteFood deserts are defined  as parts of the country vapid of fresh fruit, vegetables, and other healthful whole foods, usually found in impoverished areas. This is largely due to a lack of grocery stores, farmers' markets, and healthy food providers.

This has become a big problem because while food deserts are often short on whole food providers, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, instead, they are heavy on local quickie marts that provide a wealth of processed, sugar, and fat laden foods that are known contributors to our nation's obesity epidemic.

edit: http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/usda-defines-food-deserts

dps

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 19, 2019, 10:52:31 AM
No. It’s says “no car and no supermarket”. Your farmers will have a car. These are poor rural populations, or populations living in small communities, in addition to inner city food deserts.

I wasn't talking about commercial farming operations, more subsistence farmers and the like.

Razgovory

Yeah, that's what working two jobs get you.  Plenty of leisure time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: dps on June 19, 2019, 10:57:37 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on June 19, 2019, 10:52:31 AM
No. It's says "no car and no supermarket". Your farmers will have a car. These are poor rural populations, or populations living in small communities, in addition to inner city food deserts.

I wasn't talking about commercial farming operations, more subsistence farmers and the like.

Those don't exist in the western world anymore.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2019, 09:13:43 AM
The poor can not afford nutritional low calorie food and subsist in cheap junk food.

In Sweden nutritional food is dirt cheap.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

No, it is not. Perhaps not super expensive, but not dirt cheap unless you want to eat carrots and potatoes.

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on June 19, 2019, 11:43:57 AM
No, it is not. Perhaps not super expensive, but not dirt cheap unless you want to eat carrots and potatoes.

:huh: Yeah that's great cheap nutritional food. Onions are cheap too. If a person doesn't WANT to eat cheap nutritional food then that's a different thing than it being non-cheap or unavailable.

Threviel

There's a reason the Irish emigrated, potatoes and milk, while a complete diet, is not very fulfilling.

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2019, 10:09:15 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 19, 2019, 10:02:14 AM
I have seen or read that veggies is actually hard to come by in poorer areas of the US. Propaganda or sometging to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert

I'm not really convinced of the causality.  Poor folks like the taste of junk food and will go for that over healthier food when given the choice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on June 19, 2019, 11:59:59 AM
There's a reason the Irish emigrated, potatoes and milk, while a complete diet, is not very fulfilling.

*shrug* Me and my relatives have eaten well and very cheaply when poor, others can too.