News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on April 28, 2019, 02:22:18 AM
Does visiting friends or family count if you don't do anything else in a state except drive through?

Sure.

Iormlund

Two US states, 9 countries, four different continents.

I hate traveling. Which reminds me I have to start preparing the luggage for next week.

The Larch

With the Yi rule I have 3 US states under my belt (NY, California and Pennsylvania), due to meeting with Mihali in Philly back in the day.  :cool:

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2019, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 26, 2019, 09:07:41 PM
I've been to 9 Canadian provinces and 43 US states. 42 if you don't count just walking across the border for a few minutes.

My rule is you have to sleep in a place to count as visiting.  So I've been to Quebec twice on day trips, but I don't count Quebec because I didn't sleep there.

hmm... I guess I could count Texas because on a layover at DFW we did rent a room and slept for 5-6 hours, but still doesn't seem like it should count.

I don't like that rule. Putting it onto countries
For e.g. The Vatican it would mean very few people have visited. Monaco is also more common as a day trip with people staying in cheaper Nice.

I'd say you have to "do something" there.
A significant amount of the day sight seeing, a few days business or visiting family, etc...
Driving in your car and getting out to eat doesn't count.

With the sleep rule you could have for example someone living near a state border who goes to the neighbouring state all the time but has never slept there since they can always easily return home.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 27, 2019, 11:53:47 PM
I'm not sure it's possible to drive through Nunavut on the way to somewhere else.

It's not possible to drive through Nunavut, period.

There are no highways.  Everything has to be shipped in by sea or air.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

10 Canadian provinces, 8 US states and 25 other nations, applying the Yi rule.  More if applying the BB rule.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2019, 12:32:53 PM
I propose the rule of at least one recreational activity.
I have been to 20 US states & DC and four Canadian provinces based on this rule. And 28 countries in Europe.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I've been to 9 Eurocountries. 

The Larch

I've visited 24 European countries, by my count (including the Vatican). Outside of Europe only the US and Morocco. I've been to the Asian side of Istanbul, but I don't know if that might count as having been to Asia in this kind of debates.

mongers

Damn, nearly the whole of Sunday has been taken up with domestic stuff, ranging from repairing things to laundry; a beautiful afternoon was missed.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Iormlund on April 28, 2019, 05:05:22 AM
Two US states, 9 countries, four different continents.

I hate traveling. Which reminds me I have to start preparing the luggage for next week.

Heh,

You said this job was going to be less travel than your last one.  Did that pan out, or is it every bit as bad?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Not trying to one-up you guys with all your fancy travel destinations and all, but next week I get to go to Baltimore on business :showoff:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

Rated by Forbes as America's best place to hide a body.  :)
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?