News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2019, 05:07:32 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2019, 02:25:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 05, 2019, 07:56:38 PM
Kylie Jenner is the youngest ever self-made billionaire, at age 21.  Beat out Zuck by two years.

Pretty interesting use of self made there.

Not really.  Nothing about her is really that interesting, except her exceptional skill at monetizing being famous merely for being famous.

I was poking at Yi.

Syt

To everyone's surprise it turns out that Tucker Carlson is a misogynist scumbag: https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1104885542615953408?s=20
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on March 11, 2019, 11:36:53 AM
To everyone's surprise it turns out that Tucker Carlson is a misogynist scumbag: https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1104885542615953408?s=20

I think it's more that Tucker Carlson is completely amoral, without any particular political beliefs.  He'll say whatever he thinks he needs to say to get and keep attention and employment.

I note these comments were on the Bubba the Love Sponge show.  Being in Canada I've never heard it, but since this is the man who let Hulk Hogan sleep with his wife while videotaping it, I'm going to assume there's lots of sex talk on the show.  Carlson probably figured his comments would be edgy but largely fit in with the audience.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

It seems mobile phones are cheaper in Switzerland than the UK. I may finally take the plunge and buy one Friday. The question is which.... Is the S9 worth 150 more than the S8... Is it really all about Samsung.....
The more I think the less likely I will buy. Hmm
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

My S9 was a very slight upgrade to the S8 I had. Probably not worth the $150 in my opinion.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on March 11, 2019, 05:57:14 PM
My S9 was a very slight upgrade to the S8 I had. Probably not worth the $150 in my opinion.
A further complication at a shop today, lady said the S10e is the same price as the S9 and better :lol:
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Then I'd go for the S10.

Feels weird to type that.  I still have the original Galaxy S in a box somewhere.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2019, 01:31:16 PM
Then I'd go for the S10.

Feels weird to type that.  I still have the original Galaxy S in a box somewhere.

:hmm: Why wouldn't you have sold your old phone?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

I've never replaced one that still works.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 12, 2019, 01:59:51 PM
I've never replaced one that still works.  :sleep:

You can still sell the non-working ones for something, though. Might not be worth the effort to you, but...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on March 12, 2019, 01:43:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2019, 01:31:16 PM
Then I'd go for the S10.

:hmm: Why wouldn't you have sold your old phone?

For the price I'd have gotten for it, it was worth more to me to keep it as a backup.

Syt

Vienna again has the highest quality of living according to the annual Mercer study.

https://mobilityexchange.mercer.com/Insights/article/Infographic-Top-5-Cities-by-Region-for-Quality-of-Living

Also, we're the 6th safest cities of those examined, apparently. Of course politicians sometimes make it sound like it's basically The Wire here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2019, 09:06:09 AM
Vienna again has the highest quality of living according to the annual Mercer study.

https://mobilityexchange.mercer.com/Insights/article/Infographic-Top-5-Cities-by-Region-for-Quality-of-Living

Also, we're the 6th safest cities of those examined, apparently. Of course politicians sometimes make it sound like it's basically The Wire here.

Homicide rate in Baltimore: 56 per 100,000 per year

Homicide rate in Vienna: 0.61 per 100,000 per year

Basically the same.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2019, 09:06:09 AM

You can always get better.  You wanna settle for 6th place??  :D