News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Malek's performance wasn't worthy.

Gaga lost Best Actress but won for best song. Thoughts, Bravo?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Goes to show once again - if you want an Oscar, better star in a big budget bio-pic.

EDIT: I was making this as a snide remark, and then looked at the Oscars for best actor in recent years ... damn. :D

Freddie Mercury, Winston Churchill, Hugh Glass, Stephen Hawking, Ron Woodroof, Lincoln, King George VI, Harvey Milk, Idi Amin, Truman Capote, Ray Charles, Władysław Szpilman .. those are from the 2000s :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: mongers on February 24, 2019, 09:24:34 PM
Anyone watching the oscars?

Nope, but did just watch Colman's acceptance speech, brilliant!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Of course, Colman was probably the least enjoyable of the 3 in that film.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Slightly surprised that Green Book won both Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay, given its issues.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2019, 06:31:00 AM
Slightly surprised that Green Book won both Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay, given its issues.

Interesting, what are those? I found the pic bland and formulaic, but wasn't aware there was controversy.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2019, 07:19:36 AM

Interesting, what are those? I found the pic bland and formulaic, but wasn't aware there was controversy.

Here you go: https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/film/green-book-oscars-2019-best-picture-controversial-a4075631.html

Though I think I liked this one better: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/01/220609/green-book-movie-controversy-racism-don-shirley-family-story
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Dang, I've seen the trailer several times and didn't have a clue that was Aragorn.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2019, 10:45:33 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2019, 10:02:06 PM
You need to stop making up new religions Beeb.

:o

I think there was even a EU2 event about the Ukrainian Catholic union.  It goes back to the treaty of Brest in 1596.  It's a weird fusion of orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Ukrainian.  It's the dominant religion in western Ukraine (L'viv), and of course because of the diaspora there are many Ukrainian Catholic churches in the West.

My wife's family is Ukrainian Catholic. They do indeed have married priests, but they face discrimination if they are married - they cannot rise in the Church hierarchy. Otherwise I suppose there could be a married Pope!  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2019, 08:51:44 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2019, 10:45:33 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2019, 10:02:06 PM
You need to stop making up new religions Beeb.

:o

I think there was even a EU2 event about the Ukrainian Catholic union.  It goes back to the treaty of Brest in 1596.  It's a weird fusion of orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Ukrainian.  It's the dominant religion in western Ukraine (L'viv), and of course because of the diaspora there are many Ukrainian Catholic churches in the West.

My wife's family is Ukrainian Catholic. They do indeed have married priests, but they face discrimination if they are married - they cannot rise in the Church hierarchy. Otherwise I suppose there could be a married Pope!  :hmm:

Isn't that like in Eastern Orthodox churches? Regular priests can be married, but higher ranks are supposed to be celibate?

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2019, 08:59:51 AM

Isn't that like in Eastern Orthodox churches? Regular priests can be married, but higher ranks are supposed to be celibate?

Yup, very similar.

The whole celibacy thing is odd enough, but restricting it to those ambitious for high rank at least makes a kind of sense - for the same reasons the Turks and Chinese staffed their bureaucracies with eunuchs (no family dynasties to entrench themselves). Although this doesn't stop nepotism in favour of nephews and illegitimate kids ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2019, 09:05:42 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2019, 08:59:51 AM

Yup, very similar.

The whole celibacy thing is odd enough, but restricting it to those ambitious for high rank at least makes a kind of sense - for the same reasons the Turks and Chinese staffed their bureaucracies with eunuchs (no family dynasties to entrench themselves).

And Byzantines. Coincidence?  :P

In Catholicism celibacy in priests was only formalized in the middle ages, AFAIK. Until then it was only specifically for higher ranks as well, and mostly customary for the rest of the priesthood.

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2019, 09:12:53 AM

In Catholicism celibacy in priests was only formalized in the middle ages, AFAIK. Until then it was only specifically for higher ranks as well, and mostly customary for the rest of the priesthood.

Heh I knew I was missing one important example!  :lol:

It remains an oddity though that one group of Catholic priests can marry, while another cannot. The historical reasons for this make sense, but the theology of it is a bit wonky.  :D

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2019, 07:28:14 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2019, 07:19:36 AM

Here you go: https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/film/green-book-oscars-2019-best-picture-controversial-a4075631.html

Though I think I liked this one better: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/01/220609/green-book-movie-controversy-racism-don-shirley-family-story

I see, thanks! Didn't know they ignored Shirley's family.

My biggest qualm on the film is that is an uncomplicated feelgood view of a really complicated era, and this might have worked 20 years ago but fortunately we're in a different place now.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2019, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2019, 09:12:53 AM

Heh I knew I was missing one important example!  :lol:

Haha, in this case it was a pretty glaring omission.  ;)

QuoteIt remains an oddity though that one group of Catholic priests can marry, while another cannot. The historical reasons for this make sense, but the theology of it is a bit wonky.  :D

Because there's no real theological point to it, it's just an arbitrary church ruling.