News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/xi-cult-app-chinas-red-hot-hit-042156159.html?guccounter=2

Watching China go full 1984 will be quite fascinating. I hope it won't catch on too much outside of it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 21, 2019, 01:21:39 AM
If you're staking out a political office and you're not being paid for it, you really should ask yourself what you're doing with your life.

Well, the answer would be "public service".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on February 21, 2019, 10:21:50 AM
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/xi-cult-app-chinas-red-hot-hit-042156159.html?guccounter=2

Watching China go full 1984 will be quite fascinating. I hope it won't catch on too much outside of it.

Yeah, that shit with Xi is scary.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

On the other hand, you get free pastries.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2019, 01:35:49 PM
https://www.sfgate.com/renotahoe/article/Multiple-vehicle-crash-Donner-Pass-CHP-Caltrans-13622370.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

QuoteMultiple-vehicle crash near Donner Pass creates traffic nightmare on I-80 heading to Truckee

:ph34r: :mmm:

"Perhaps we resorted to cannibalism too soon", say survivors, rescued a half hour later.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

tbf, this does like a scene from a horror movie.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

I've seen worse.  Like when they get an inch of snow down South.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2019, 02:22:05 PM

:huh:

It looks like my daily commute.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2019, 02:45:56 PM

But you live in an area that's barely fit for human habitation :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2019, 02:48:09 PM

:P

I'll have you know my Spanish ward hasn't ever complained about the cold.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2019, 05:01:42 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 20, 2019, 03:27:12 PM
Another obvious cockup by a government minister; just imagine if they formed a raid team in world of warcraft, one could probably solo them in pvp.

Forming a raid requires a fair amount of cooperation and planning.  They would be throwing their monitors out the window in frustration that they cannot form a raid team of 1.

Does that make Theresa May the Leeroy Jenkins of the UK government/Brexit affair?  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2019, 01:25:58 PM
Well, the answer would be "public service".

Oddly enough, most "public servants" are being paid for their service.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2019, 02:51:08 PM

Probably afraid she'll be first on the dinner plate if she complains and things go bad.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2019, 02:51:08 PM

Hard to do if your jaw is frozen shut  :P