News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I find it weird that you guys focus on the action of North Korea so much.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

I would totally visit North Korea if I could.  Tours there are all tightly controlled in where you can go and what you see (and no unauthorized photos!) but it would still be an opportunity to see a completely despotic stalinist country up close and personal.

Of course it helps that I don't have a US passport.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2017, 10:06:00 AM
And re:  what garbon posted while I was typing--I agree that travelling to NK is a pretty good sign of either feeling privileged, being reckless, or just plain being nuts.  But none of that deserves 15 years of imprisonment, much less death.

Yeah, not so much deserves but to be expected re: NK.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 27, 2017, 10:07:56 AM
I would totally visit North Korea if I could.  Tours there are all tightly controlled in where you can go and what you see (and no unauthorized photos!) but it would still be an opportunity to see a completely despotic stalinist country up close and personal.

Of course it helps that I don't have a US passport.

I generally try not to give money directly (so tourism dollars) to governments that I despise or that despise me. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Have you fucking lost your mind?  Why would anyone want to see that "up close and personal?

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 27, 2017, 10:06:48 AM

Whose actions should we be focusing on?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2017, 10:10:42 AM

Have you fucking lost your mind?  Why would anyone want to see that "up close and personal?

I would. But probably not if I was an American.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2017, 09:59:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2017, 09:23:48 AM
White men in the US are still among the most incarcerated populations in the world. I was not aware we routinely get away with committing crimes. But then I also do not think 15 years in a labor camp is a reasonable punishment for taking a poster. But maybe in Canada shoplifters get shot in the back of the head?

I thought we were trying to fight against mass incarceration and overly harsh sentences but I guess this professor thinks we need more of it. She also seems to know all about this one guy and everything he did just based on the fact she knew a few guys like him at UD.

I think we know enough with: he was an American who went on a tour group to NK. Right there you are either full on your self-worth/how you'll be protected or you are reckless. Neither one seems like something to laud.

True. He was ridiculously foolish if he did what the NK government says he did. The idea that white dudes never get punished or go to prison for our crimes is just not true though. Besides last I checked white kids are not the only ones who do stupid reckless things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

There are safer ways of doing that.

http://www.denverpost.com/2006/05/02/lithuanias-stalins-world-theme-park/

Myself, I'd never go to NK, for a bunch of reasons.

- gives cash to an evil regime
- not safe
- bad taste to view the suffering victims from a position of relative privilege
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2017, 10:06:00 AM

I note that you don't claim to still fall under the "young" category.  :)

I'm young at heart!  :weep:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2017, 10:13:45 AM

Warmbier's
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

It's the only real mystery left on earth.  Would be awesome to see, a window to another world.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 27, 2017, 10:18:45 AM

Warmbier's

The kid was accused of stealing a poster of their beloved leader.

Assuming he's guilty (and given the state of trials in NK, that's a big assumption), he stole something worth - what - a couple of bucks at most?

Not usually considered worthy of a death sentence in civilized countries.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2017, 10:21:54 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 27, 2017, 10:18:45 AM

Warmbier's

The kid was accused of stealing a poster of their beloved leader.

Assuming he's guilty (and given the state of trials in NK, that's a big assumption), he stole something worth - what - a couple of bucks at most?

Not usually considered worthy of a death sentence in civilized countries.

Also, we don't actually know his actions beyond going to North Korea.

Barrister

Helps you appreciate the freedom that we do have.

I get the "I don't want to give money to a dictatorial state" argument.  If I were to go I'd be somewhat conflicted for that reason.  But I would still go.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.