Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

What's the issue with air miles?  :hmm:

derspiess

And what's the deal with airline food?!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Tonight I'm going to see that freakishly tall clown dude that sings cabaret covers of modern songs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 09:38:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 01, 2017, 09:34:15 AM
It's more polite than just saying "x is shit" or "people who like x are weird"

:hmm:

'Twitter is shit' / 'People who like twitter are weird'
'Air miles are shit' / 'People who like air miles are weird'
'Online dating is shit' / 'People who like online dating are weird'
'Separate shampoo and conditioner is shit' / 'People who like separate shampoo and conditioner are weird'

Would that be a fair translation then?

Mostly.
I can't help but skew towards politeness and add "maybe there's something I'm not getting here but..." to the start.
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

Oh good.  This scrolled across my Twitter feed just now:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/crime/article/Police-Man-killed-prostitute-let-acquaintance-10963434.php

QuotePolice: Man killed prostitute, let acquaintance have sex with her body, set her on fire

:bleeding:  I'm sure his parents are proud. 

Admiral Yi

92% of Flips have a positive opinion of the US.  That's a higher percentage than in the US itself.  :D

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 01, 2017, 12:15:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 09:38:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 01, 2017, 09:34:15 AM
It's more polite than just saying "x is shit" or "people who like x are weird"

:hmm:

'Twitter is shit' / 'People who like twitter are weird'
'Air miles are shit' / 'People who like air miles are weird'
'Online dating is shit' / 'People who like online dating are weird'
'Separate shampoo and conditioner is shit' / 'People who like separate shampoo and conditioner are weird'

Would that be a fair translation then?

Mostly.
I can't help but skew towards politeness and add "maybe there's something I'm not getting here but..." to the start.

Perhaps you should skew towards maybe I need to learn about things there are so many disparate things that I can't understand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 01:58:30 PM
Perhaps you should skew towards maybe I need to learn about things there are so many disparate things that I can't understand.

Feel free to educate him on the immense value of Twitter.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 02:02:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 01:58:30 PM

Feel free to educate him on the immense value of Twitter.

It is how the American people speaks to the people of Earth.

Anyway, my point isn't that all has value (Pepe certainly doesnt) but that he should take some time to learn about things - rather just dismissing as he's admitted too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Dismissing Twitter outright seems reasonable enough. And I don't even know who or what pepe is (unless it's the footballer), nor do I care to find out.

Everyone dismisses stuff all the time. You can only learn about so many things, might as well focus on what seems worthwhile, no?

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on March 01, 2017, 02:11:32 PM
Dismissing Twitter outright seems reasonable enough. And I don't even know who or what pepe is (unless it's the footballer), nor do I care to find out.

Everyone dismisses stuff all the time. You can only learn about so many things, might as well focus on what seems worthwhile, no?

I don't know. Do you frequently post about things that you don't find worthwhile to learn about?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2017, 01:40:43 PM
92% of Flips have a positive opinion of the US.  That's a higher percentage than in the US itself.  :D

Yes

Also most of that side of my family love Reagan and Republicans in general. At least the traditional Republicans, maybe not the freedom caucus types
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 02:13:13 PM

I don't know. Do you frequently post about things that you don't find worthwhile to learn about?

I'll agree that celebrating one's ignorance is unnecessary.  :)

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on March 01, 2017, 02:17:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2017, 02:13:13 PM

I'll agree that celebrating one's ignorance is unnecessary.  :)

By the by, my take is that Twitter is mostly not for me - however, I have found it very useful for one purpose. It is great for learning about live events that my have not yet made the news or considered important enough for wider press coverage.

Grey Fox

Twitter is great if you follow Sports. Breaking News twice as fast.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.