News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on January 20, 2017, 09:22:34 AM
To further my morbid turn, the topic of Pompeii came up at a dinner with friends. One person was describing the imagined scene at the docks, when everyone realized they would die, "Can you imagine standing there, knowing that you and everyone you love was going to die, and everything you had would be destroyed?"

I replied, "so basically it would be just like our own lives, just in fast forward." :)

Pfft, the heat death of the universe makes everything pointless.   :rolleyes:

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Is there anyway to test if something is iron?
Short of exposing a supernatural being to its touch.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2017, 12:20:45 PM
Is there anyway to test if something is iron?
Short of exposing a supernatural being to its touch.

Magnets?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2017, 05:20:09 AM
Looks like Trump has found a new head for the DEA and is flying him in time for the inauguration:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/world/el-chapo-extradited-mexico.html

QuoteEl Chapo, Mexican Drug Kingpin, Is Extradited to U.S.

:D

He looks a bit like Tuco Salamanca from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2017, 05:20:09 AM
Looks like Trump has found a new head for the DEA and is flying him in time for the inauguration:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/world/el-chapo-extradited-mexico.html

QuoteEl Chapo, Mexican Drug Kingpin, Is Extradited to U.S.

Fits the pattern of picking billionaire CEOs of major businesses.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Syt

YouTube video: "Do teens know 80s action movies?"

Girl sees poster of Terminator: "Schwarzenegger? The governor? I didn't know he was an actor!"

:frusty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

In her defense, he's not very good at it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Insomnia report: I just read an article on Sloths pooping habits.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on January 22, 2017, 01:02:49 AM
I'd like to know more.

They apparently have to poo on the ground and poo once a week.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 22, 2017, 12:57:47 AM
Insomnia report: I just read an article on Sloths pooping habits.

Wait a minute: all the cherry pain killers you get, and you don't bother washing them down with a brewski once in a while?  WTF 

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

I am reposting myself from the Books thread to see if more people had the same reaction I did.

Does this portrait look uncannily like a contemporary beardless Russian to anyone else?

From Degenerate Art: the Attack on Modern Art in Nazi Germany, 1937.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 22, 2017, 11:14:57 AM
I am reposting myself from the Books thread to see if more people had the same reaction I did.

Does this portrait look uncannily like a contemporary beardless Russian to anyone else?

From Degenerate Art: the Attack on Modern Art in Nazi Germany, 1937.

:huh: How many beardless Russians have there ever been, Khrushchev excepted?  They grow beards so you an tell them apart.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!