News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 02, 2017, 09:45:35 PM
Why is that kid dressed as a Gestapo agent?

He looks like that kid who lost his seat to Hitler.

Josephus

Pearson Airport in Toronto, and I'm sure in many airports everywhere, has a store that sells suitcases.

"Honey, I'm thinking we forgot something....shit....suitcases!"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on January 03, 2017, 11:55:59 AM
Pearson Airport in Toronto, and I'm sure in many airports everywhere, has a store that sells suitcases.

I'm guessing Airports are the number one places people find that their suitcase is broken.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Being at my parents for 2 weeks really makes me appreciate my own flat :)
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

north dakota's version of trump gave his state of the state address. he broke down in tears over meth addicts.  :)

Josquius

Playing Football Manager I came across a region from an oddly named town. Mistake in the game?
Nope. Real place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_'n'_Country,_Florida
:hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on January 03, 2017, 12:06:05 PM

I'm guessing Airports are the number one places people find that their suitcase is broken.

Yeah, but this was in the gates area where all the shops are. At this point you've checked in your bag!
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 03, 2017, 04:18:12 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 03, 2017, 12:06:05 PM

Yeah, but this was in the gates area where all the shops are. At this point you've checked in your bag!

They have an 'arrangement' with baggage-handlers to kick to death any non-recent/un-armoured cases?  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on January 03, 2017, 04:18:12 PM

The internet to the rescue!

QuoteQ:Why do airports have luggage stores? Everyone's already packed. I never see anyone in them.  How to do they survive?

A: I've always wondered this, too.  I actually asked the clerk at one who the hell ever buys their stuff.  According to their answer, they manage to get some decent sales thanks to:

• People who damage their carry-ons before arriving at the airport.  A zipper will bust, wheel will fall off, or handle will break, and so they'll want to get rid of that broken luggage and replace it at the airport.  The luggage store will even discard your old bag for you.
  • People in that travel mindset.  Their existing carry-on will bug the hell out of them all the way to the airport.  With a little time to kill and in the midst of thinking about and dealing with a bag they hate, they'll finally decide to replace the damn thing once and for all since they're in the process of traveling and having to contend with their existing, inadequate luggage.
  • Many stores will even offer free shipping or pick-up arrangements for people, which especially comes in handy for those buying full-size (non carry-on) luggage.  People buy the luggage when in the mindset and can have it shipped to their home; some stores can even arrange to have you pick up your luggage upon landing from their location at the arrival airport, if one exists, or from any of their retail locations.  So, while thinking about traveling and luggage, you find yourself at the airport store, make your purchase, and can pick it up from the store at the mall once home.
  • People who have purchased so much from other stores at the airport that they now need a new bag to throw everything in to.  All those booze and perfume bottles, giant Toblerone chocolate bars and cigarette cartons won't fit in the bag they have, so they have to buy a new one.
  • Airport staff, who can get nice discounts when purchasing stuff from stores at the airport.
So the stores actually manage to sell some stuff, while also serving as a showroom of sorts for their products.  If you're a luggage manufacturer, what better place to assure you're being exposed to your target audience than an airport?  Even if they don't buy on the spot, you might find that person entering one of your other retail locations once they get to where they're going.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-airports-have-luggage-stores

Josephus

Yeah, I figured it was duty free and free shipping for those who think that airports carry great bargains on suitcases. Honestly I am amazed those stores survive.

celedhring

I once broke one of my suitcases while flying from NY and got one right there as replacement. With the kind of traffic a major airport can get, I can see them getting more than good enough business.

You can see it as setting up a store in a place where everybody already owns your merchandise OR setting up a store in a place where everybody uses your merchandise.

Josquius

Apparently the big thing with most high end airport stores is less about selling there and more about advertising and showing their name.
Perhaps for luggage it is the same to an extent? It will associate your luggage with airports to be so nicely seen in one.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

WikiLeaks ‏@wikileaks Jan 2

You can ask WikiLeaks' publisher Julian Assange anything live at Thursday 9am EST on Reddit @Reddit_IAmA #AskMeAnything #IAmA #proofoflife
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

A real CIA would've taken care of that asshole by now.