News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Probably a good time to go ahead and cut ties with her.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on December 29, 2016, 02:44:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 29, 2016, 12:24:43 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 29, 2016, 12:13:55 PM
People who suddenly stop replying to messsages for a few days for no reason- worse than Hitler?
People who complain about other people having lies are definitely worse than Hitler.
Its just good etiquette to let people know if you're busy or to answer simple questions within a few days.
At least have an apology and an excuse afterwards.

She's just not that into you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Tyr, you should watch this video for pointers on how to tell if a girl is into you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-4IAR_9Yw

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 29, 2016, 12:50:51 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 29, 2016, 12:41:50 PM
From the Ed Anger best of '16 list:

http://www.askamanager.org/2016/06/i-was-fired-from-my-internship-for-writing-a-proposal-for-a-more-flexible-dress-code.html

Whiny young people.

QuoteWe accompanied the proposal with a petition, signed by all of the interns (except for one who declined to sign it) and gave it to our managers to consider.

The next day, all of us who signed the petition were called into a meeting where we thought our proposal would be discussed.

Congratulations on your new job, kid.  You survived the audition.  BY NOT BEING STUPID
Yea, not the intern's job to point out stupid policies.

LaCroix

the intern's job is to accept stupid policies and, once hired, contravene them.

alfred russel

Quote from: Maximus on December 29, 2016, 04:36:52 PM

Reading the letter, the intern worked for a company that required suits or blazers to work. Ie, a very formal one. She mentioned they requested that sandals be considered acceptable (but not flip flops!).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: LaCroix on December 29, 2016, 04:39:18 PM
the intern's job is to accept stupid policies and, once hired, contravene them.

But how do you know it was stupid? There are valid reasons to have a more professional dress code.

The Brain

Why did they think being uppity was a good idea?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Leaving aside other considerations, "wah wah wah GI Gimp gets to wear sneakers" is not the way to go.

LaCroix

Quote from: alfred russel on December 29, 2016, 04:43:44 PMBut how do you know it was stupid? There are valid reasons to have a more professional dress code.

agree, but these interns seem to have thought it was stupid.

most internships are really just long interviews. you don't ask to change policy in an interview

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on December 29, 2016, 04:36:52 PM

That's right, Max; you tell 'em how it's done over there in Eurotopia.

Grey Fox

All dress codes are stupid.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

North Korea's second most important trade partner is...Congo.  :lol:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

If I spent all the time and effort to get a bunch of interns to work for me, I would not fire the whole bunch of them all at once unless they already proved to be useless and hopeless.  I would explain to them, one on one, how counter-productive they were being with that stupid petition.