News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I get it  He won the election.  He's the President.
But does he have to do in the MIDDLE OF MANHATTAN

It's getting cold Donald, pack up your clown show and move it to Mar-a-lago, in a state where people actually want you.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2016, 11:44:23 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 15, 2016, 11:30:59 AM
Seemed pretty pathetic.  Apparently some FB friends of mine found it "deeply touching" :mellow:

Yeah. If you are a comedy show that claims to dish it out to everyone equally - even though noone is buying it really - you don't whip out a sobby mourning number when your candidate loses. Have some dignity.

It's because Leonard Cohen died. FFS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 15, 2016, 12:19:36 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2016, 11:44:23 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 15, 2016, 11:30:59 AM
Seemed pretty pathetic.  Apparently some FB friends of mine found it "deeply touching" :mellow:

Yeah. If you are a comedy show that claims to dish it out to everyone equally - even though noone is buying it really - you don't whip out a sobby mourning number when your candidate loses. Have some dignity.

It's because Leonard Cohen died. FFS.

It is also, I guess, easy to be flippant if one views this recent election as similar to elections we ran in the past. It wasn't.

After Lorne Michaels hadn't greenlit such a performance before.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

The more I think of it, this sort of non-comedy thing isn't totally out of line with stuff SNL has had in the past.  It's just that they should have run it in the last 15-20 minutes of the show rather than leading with it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I liked that one time Sinbad O'Connor was on and tore up the photo of JPII, and then at the end of the show Tim Robbins totally ignored her when he thanked everyone else.  That was funny. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

I liked the subsequent spoof by Jan Hooks later that season.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Lorne probably had to make sure she was mocked in return.  IIRC he got yelled at by the network for that incident.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 15, 2016, 02:49:29 PM
Lorne probably had to make sure she was mocked in return.  IIRC he got yelled at by the network for that incident.

Yeah there was a lot of bad press - mostly for O'Conner, but for SNL as well.

What I remember was the next week Joe Pesci was the guest star and held up the same picture of the Pope, all taped up, and offered some kind of apology.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 15, 2016, 01:25:00 PM
The more I think of it, this sort of non-comedy thing isn't totally out of line with stuff SNL has had in the past.  It's just that they should have run it in the last 15-20 minutes of the show rather than leading with it.

Right, Mr. Network Programmer, exactly when the viewership is lowest.

derspiess

Yep.  I mean, heaven forbid they open up with something involving Chapelle.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Reading user reviews of laptops, I came across someone who might top Timmay:

Im happy with my laptop but i ordered 3years warrenty and that has not come is it done otomaticly?

:blink:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Maybe he expects a Janissary to deliver it?

The Brain

Maybe he bought the laptop from the Otomo.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

SNL has opened with non-humour acts in the past. The show in the aftermath of the Paris attacks last year comes to mind.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2016, 04:17:33 PM
SNL has opened with non-humour acts in the past.

Ain't that the truth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.