News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

They're expensive cigarettes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2016, 11:20:55 AM
But they're treating cigars as if they were cigarettes.  I mean, I disagree with the huge graphic labels on cigarettes as well, but that's a separate issue.

Cigars can still lead to the same health effects as cigarettes.  They're still tobacco products.

Barrister

But they're treating cigars as if they were cigarettes.  I mean, I disagree with the huge graphic labels on cigarettes as well, but that's a separate issue.

Umm, both they're both made from tobacco.  Cigars are arguable worse since they have no filter.

I mean I get it - culturally they're different in that you don't inhale cigars, but they really are the same substance.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2016, 11:24:36 AM

Cigars can still lead to the same health effects as cigarettes.  They're still tobacco products.

In practice though, they're very different.  People do not smoke cigars like they do cigarettes.  Regulating cigars and cigarettes the same way is just stupid.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Seems discriminatory against poor people to just put them on fags.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on November 02, 2016, 11:31:49 AM

True, I don't think wine and champagne will get a pass either when they give alcohol the same treatment in a few years.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2016, 11:27:13 AM
In practice though, they're very different.  People do not smoke cigars like they do cigarettes.  Regulating cigars and cigarettes the same way is just stupid.

Depends.  Some people chew on cigars all day like it's chaw.  Tobacco is still tobacco.

What, you think inhaling tobacco smoke is the only way it can be a health hazard?  Lulz.

Jacob

My grandmother's brother died in his 50s from lung cancer. The only thing he smoked was cigars. I reckon the warnings are fair.

Zanza

Quote from: Liep on November 02, 2016, 11:35:13 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 02, 2016, 11:31:49 AM

True, I don't think wine and champagne will get a pass either when they give alcohol the same treatment in a few years.
Do you see any signs that's going to happen? Alcohol has been established as an extremely unhealthy drugs for millenia but it is extremely accepted in our culture.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2016, 11:55:52 AM

My grandmother's brother died in his 50s from lung cancer. The only thing he smoked was cigars. I reckon the warnings are fair.

My grandmother died of lung cancer, but was never a smoker. 

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2016, 11:35:57 AM
Depends.  Some people chew on cigars all day like it's chaw.  Tobacco is still tobacco.

Only in 1950s war movies.  Regardless, it remains that cigarettes kill way more people than cigars do. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2016, 02:53:05 PM
Brian Blessed being Brian Blessed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NacppJ_vWQg
:hmm:
I do not recognise this show. Though I'm sure I must have seen it.

Speaking of which, anyone managed to catch new Crystal Maze?
My VPN works with netflix but not channel 4 :( :bowler:
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2016, 03:55:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2016, 11:35:57 AM

Only in 1950s war movies.  Regardless, it remains that cigarettes kill way more people than cigars do.

OK.  :)

Eddie Teach

Was watching Family Feud. The question was what is the biggest state in America. The people guess Hawaii and California and the number one answer was Texas. :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive