News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2016, 11:43:50 AMHe did free them after he died at least, more than I can say for many of his contemporaries. And he also had hired hands and tenants as well I think. But I have my doubts if it was not an economic activity Washington would have run an estate just for the shits and giggles.

Well, sure. But many of his contemporaries were also abolitionists. I don't really mind if people want to give a few points to Washington on a morality scale for postmortem manumission after a lifetime of enjoying the fruits of coerced labor - it's just that saying that's what Washington did obscures the who actually did the farming.

In any case, the concept of leisure becomes blurry once you get into the stratosphere of the filthy rich - which Washington was: clearly running their businesses must strike a chord that is not related to it being an "economic activity".
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2016, 11:50:52 AM
Worse at a personal level. If you don't feel ska dry is wrong then you have no issue with keeping slaves. If you feel keeping slaves is wrong and yet keep owning slaves it makes you seem like a worse person.

Actually, he didn't free his wife's slaves during his lifetime. He freed them after he wasn't in a position to hear her bitching about it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 21, 2016, 11:59:59 AM
Well, sure. But many of his contemporaries were also abolitionists. I don't really mind if people want to give a few points to Washington on a morality scale for postmortem manumission after a lifetime of enjoying the fruits of coerced labor - it's just that saying that's what Washington did obscures the who actually did the farming.

He only scored points compared to some of his Planter contemporaries, like Jefferson and Madison, and certainly the later generations in the South and his relative Robert E Lee. Even in the states that abolished slavery they sometimes opted for gradualism anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2016, 11:59:49 AM
How binary was it, though?

It became an increasingly binary moral choice as slavery became increasingly binary as an institution itself. In a world of varying shades of coerced labor (most of which were not permanent, and not tied to the color of your skin), slavery was one of many statuses related to freedom. As it became increasingly racialized, and the mark of a fundamental divide between absolute, abject lack of freedom, and total, absolute, virtuous liberty, the choices became increasingly starker. This is why the "pro-slavery" arguments of antebellum America actually gain intellectual coherence *after* abolitionism picks up steam. Because the challenge was increasingly direct. The times of ambiguity were earlier.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Yeah eventually the Southern establishment decided slavery was great and awesome for everybody involved. Especially them. Except James G Birney, he was cool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Continuing a conversation from about a year and a half ago...

Quote from: derspiess on July 28, 2015, 08:42:06 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2015, 05:42:49 PM
Again, drawing from my experience.  The two concussions we know my son received were both from legal, technically sound hits.  And in both collisions he was the one initiating the contact.

I respect that, but I also have my own experience to draw from.  Obviously if there's ever any sign of a concussion we'll get it taken care of and re-evaluate at that point.

I'm helping coach Tommy's football team this year, and so far we've had our star QB horrifyingly break his arm in Week 5 and then last week our next best player broke his middle finger in about the worst possible way in a non-football activity.  But we've gone about two seasons of not having a concussion on the team-- until practice this past Tuesday during a scrimmage the team a year older than us.  Just a freak incident where two kids collided helmet to helmet.  And this was our third best player.  He's out for this Saturday's game vs. the other 9-0 team but we hope to have him back for the playoffs.

One interesting side-effect of the increased awareness about concussions is that a few of our players have started faking concussions in order to take a break during practice.  One kid has pulled it at least three times, saying he got hit and doesn't remember stuff.  Magically all his symptoms clear as soon as practice is over.  Obviously we have to treat every claim seriously, evaluate the kid, keep him out of practice, etc. but it's infuriating when you realize he's faking it.

So for about two years it's been kind of a mixed bag.  We mostly avoided injuries last year but they piled up this year-- and it's not just concussions you should worry about with your kid playing football.  I'm still okay with mine playing.  He's moved into more "high impact" spots on offense and defense but he's loving it and I'm keeping a close eye.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Liep

So like it or not drum/synth machines are popular at the moment, question is: have anyone ever seen a guy playing it looking anything but ridiculous?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on October 21, 2016, 02:41:52 PM
So like it or not drum/synth machines are popular at the moment, question is: have anyone ever seen a guy playing it looking anything but ridiculous?

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Does keytar count? Ghost's keyboard ghoul does a sweet keytar solo live on Mummy Dust, and looks cool doing it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

I wasn't thinking of keytars, more these things

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Yes:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

that's a synth drum set, what i'm thinking of is the smaller pad-like things played with fingers.

mongers

Quote from: Liep on October 21, 2016, 05:04:12 PM
that's a synth drum set, what i'm thinking of is the smaller pad-like things played with fingers.

Oh you mean like a synsonic, which for some reason are getting popular:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"