News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on October 06, 2016, 02:12:18 AM
You know what I like about German? Instead of using two or more words you guys just create new really long words. Seems quaint.
It is cool. Tough to see where the gap between words are though. It's worse than japanese.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

A German dude that learnt Catalan by mail in 6 months just won one of our most popular spelling bees. I feel so Untermensch right now.  :hmm:

Josquius

....you have adult spelling bees? Plural?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Well, there's this TV show in Catalan telly which is a spelling bee for adults, and it's quite popular. He won that.

There's a smattering of regional competitions too. I won one during my uni years.

Liep

A lot of children were injured in a bus crash yesterday, the driver was tired of them not sitting down when he told them so, so he braked suddenly unaware of the truck right behind the bus.

Lesson learned I guess.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Archy

You know what I like about German? Instead of using two or more words you guys just create new really long words. Seems quaint.
I feel left out. Dutch, The Other West Germanic Language has this feature also  :mad: :P ;)

HVC

Quote from: Archy on October 07, 2016, 04:34:15 AM
I feel left out. Dutch, The Other West Germanic Language has this feature also  :mad: :P ;)

Ok, you speak a quaint language too :console:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Our office went to Wiener Wiesn, the little Octoberfest here in Vienna yesterday. I had 4 or 5 Maß beer, a few Jägermeisters, and I think someone handed me a Red Bull with Vodka at midnight.

I look forward to going back to bed when I leave the office today. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Yeah, that's a pretty full night.  At our Oktoberfest I had 3 Maß and a pint of IPA and called it a night.  Made the mistake of not eating anything beforehand and just one wurst during.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

We got a platter for 8 with Schnitzel, dumplings, pork knuckle, sausage, chicken, Schinkenfleckerl and Kasnudeln. :mmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I had to google Schinkenfleckerl and Kasnudeln. Never had those in Vorarlberg or Tyrol.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on October 07, 2016, 11:38:03 AM
Schinkenfleckerl and Kasnudeln.

Food or death metal band, you guess.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

The other day I sort of agreed to do someone a favour, but it involves a woman, whom I now think I'd rather not see again, so how do I get out of it?    :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"