News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2016, 05:34:18 PM
Commuter train crashed into Hoboken New Jersey station.  100 injured, 1 dead.

It happened hours ago, surprised there wasn't a thread.

All Languishite accounted for?

DG?? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Recall reading an article a few weeks ago on the struggles in trying to improve the commuter train network in the ne us.
This won't help :(
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2016, 05:53:27 PM
Recall reading an article a few weeks ago on the struggles in trying to improve the commuter train network in the ne us.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2016, 05:56:20 PM

:huh:

He probably means his ability to recall the article.

Savonarola

Au contraire mon frère, this is the best possible advertising for Alstom's product.  It makes the case for Positive Train Control system better than we possibly could.  Even CNN's article on the tragedy noted that the train didn't have PTC.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

That's good then.
The article was about reopening service in.... pawtucket?
Some town with a famous name.
Just hope the "omg dangerous trains" argument doesn't help keep people in even more dangerous cars.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Savonarola on September 29, 2016, 08:43:37 PM

Au contraire mon frère, this is the best possible advertising for Alstom's product.  It makes the case for Positive Train Control system better than we possibly could.  Even CNN's article on the tragedy noted that the train didn't have PTC.

The commuters can hope they won't choose Siemens' though, they were 2 years late here and it still works like shit. No crashes though, but then we haven't tried it in fall/winter conditions yet.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on September 30, 2016, 03:48:10 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 29, 2016, 08:43:37 PM

The commuters can hope they won't choose Siemens' though, they were 2 years late here and it still works like shit. No crashes though, but then we haven't tried it in fall/winter conditions yet.

So it is not just Siemens ICE trains (non Bombardier joint venture kind) that suck compared to Alsthom TGVs? The ICE between Paris and Frankfurt used to be in trouble whenever winter or summer came.

Liep

We're leasing a few ICEs from DB, word has it they still have more than 50% down time. But I was talking about the train control system Siemens is installing in Denmark.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

My company send me a link to a site where I can choose my christmas gift. So, should I pick

1) Bed linen
2) Trolley, picnic blanket and a cooler
3) Bat chair (fancy folding chair)
4) Gift basket that doubles as a step chair
5) Steak knife, fork and plate
6) Bluetooth speakers and a credit card holder
7) Sports bag and a water bottle
8) Mystery gift

I'm leaning towards 8 even though I'm thinking it's just going to be whatever is left. I'm likely just re-gifting it to my Aunt as I usually do.

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on September 30, 2016, 04:34:13 AM
My company send me a link to a site where I can choose my christmas gift. So, should I pick

1) Bed linen
8) Mystery gift

I'm leaning towards 8 even though I'm thinking it's just going to be whatever is left. I'm likely just re-gifting it to my Aunt as I usually do.

Hmm.  I will never pick 8.  I always demand that I know precisely what I am getting.  If not, I assume the worst. 

Bed linen is probably the most practical and useful.  But then, judging from the rest of the list, this probably will be cheap bed linen, and bad quality bed linen is a definite no-no in my book.  There is also the issue that they may not be the right size for your bed (e.g. your bed is king size and this is a queen set). 

The second most useful thing on that list should be 5.  But I require my forks, plates and knives to be identical.  Adding a set of different fork and knife to your existing ones could be problematic.  If you don't have this requirement, then I think this is what you should pick. 

2, 3 and 4 probably take up too much space, particularly 2.  6 and 7 sound not very useful.  Personally I'll pick 6 though.   

Syt

Quote from: Liep on September 30, 2016, 04:34:13 AM

1) Bed linen
8) Mystery gift

That's kinda sad. And I imagine being the person in charge of coming up with the offering is a bit soul crushing. "We want to offer our employees something nice, but it has to be something generic and inoffensive to cover as many employees as possible, in the value of not more then €15." And then you have to wrap it into a pretend-excited email to the employees, lying about how much you appreciate their contribution over the past year. :(

They should offer an Amazon voucher of equivalent value.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I ruined one of the buds on my headphones today when I accidentally dunked it in my tea. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.