News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on May 07, 2024, 03:05:13 AMNot a good analogy but then neither is the day to day fear of Islamic extremism one.

I wasn't making an analogy.  I was pointing out an example of a different response to erroneous risk assessment.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2024, 06:28:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2024, 11:17:16 AMEven if we only count women killed by men they don't know, I'm pretty sure the number is greater than 40.

Though, of course, the relevant statistic for the answer to the question is probably the number of women who've felt endangered by men they don't know. And that is a pretty high number it seems.

I thought this was exactly the question that was being highlighted by the meme: the gap between perceived risk and actual risk.  For example when someone says they are terrified of jihadist terrorism many will point out that the number of attacks on American soil has been low.  Their perception is incorrect and therefore their fear is not justified.

So it's hard because you don't want to entirely dismiss perceived risk.  I mean yes the risk of jihadi terrorism is very small, but it's incredibly terrifying, so you don't dismiss it.

My son's school had a "lockdown" drill.  School shootings are incredibly rare in Canada (and most of the ones that have happened have been at post-secondary institutions).  My kid is much more likely to be in a car accident on his way to or from school then he is to be involved in a school shooting - but they do lockdown drills, not car accident drills.

So that's where the man vs bear comes in.  I mean yes, if you're a woman alone in the woods and you meet a man at random, the idea that man is going to attack you out of the blue is incredibly rare.  But I wouldn't want to just break out statistics and tell women they're wrong for feeling that way.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2024, 11:14:14 AMBut I wouldn't want to just break out statistics and tell women they're wrong for feeling that way.

But as I pointed out we do seem comfortable doing that in other situations.  What justifies the difference?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2024, 12:29:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2024, 11:14:14 AMBut I wouldn't want to just break out statistics and tell women they're wrong for feeling that way.

But as I pointed out we do seem comfortable doing that in other situations.  What justifies the difference?

Because it never helps.

If you're afraid of flying, does it help to tell you the statistics about how safe air travel is?  No it does not.

Syt

Ask not what your employer can do for you!

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

You know there's a way to send that email that doesn't come off as quite so condescending... but that's not how that email was written.

Sheilbh

And yet, weirdly, it's among the least mad things I've read from LinkedIn :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2024, 03:38:44 PMYou know there's a way to send that email that doesn't come off as quite so condescending... but that's not how that email was written.

You can reword some of it, not sure how you pretty up "take a pay cut" though :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2024, 03:39:33 PMAnd yet, weirdly, it's among the least mad things I've read from LinkedIn :huh:

LinkedIn is business Facebook, I hate it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on May 07, 2024, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2024, 03:39:33 PMAnd yet, weirdly, it's among the least mad things I've read from LinkedIn :huh:

#Blessed
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2024, 03:41:52 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 07, 2024, 03:40:24 PM

#Blessed

:lol:

I love the difference between it and Facebook and how normal that they are different. Such a showcase of how fake and pretentious most people are at work.

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on May 07, 2024, 03:40:24 PMLinkedIn is business Facebook, I hate it.

Linkedin has survived so long that it was business Friendster and business MySpace before it became business Facebook.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Zanza

Josquius

:lol:
:yes:
The number of people saying you have to play that game too...
It seems to be about the only site for getting professional level jobs these days though. Outside of some industries with their own specific sites anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on May 07, 2024, 04:14:27 PM:lol:
:yes:
The number of people saying you have to play that game too...
It seems to be about the only site for getting professional level jobs these days though. Outside of some industries with their own specific sites anyway.
Yeah I understand it's totally different for academia.

I should say the people I mainly see doing the whole LinkedIn influencer thing are recruiters.
Let's bomb Russia!