News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Was looking up something about Fred Armisen, and was actually fascinated by his "Early Life" entry in Wikipedia.

QuoteArmisen was born in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, on December 4, 1966, the son of schoolteacher Hildegardt Mirabal Level and IBM employee Fereydun Herbert Armisen.[4] He moved with his family to New York as a baby,[5] and briefly lived in Brazil in his youth. He was raised in Valley Stream, New York,[5] where he was a classmate of fellow SNL alumnus Jim Breuer.[6] He attended the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan[7] before dropping out to begin a career as a rock drummer.[5] He said that he was inspired to perform after seeing The Clash and Devo perform on television, and wanted to be a performer since he was a child.[8]

Armisen's mother was Venezuelan, born in San Fernando de Apure,[9][10][11] while his father was born in Soltau to a German mother and Korean father.[11][12] For much of his life, Armisen thought his paternal grandfather Ehara Masami was Japanese; however, Masami (better known by his professional name Masami Kuni or birth name Park Yeong-in)[11][13] was actually Korean and came from Ulsan; he adopted a Japanese name and persona after the massacre of Koreans in 1923 when he was a high school student.[14][11] Park studied aesthetics at Tokyo Imperial University and became a professional dancer before moving to Germany.[15][13] After the war, he returned to Japan, and formed a premier modern dance company. He eventually emigrated to the US, where he taught dance at what is now Cal State Fullerton from 1964 to 1975.[13][12] Park Yeong-in's family were members of the Korean aristocracy, and Armisen's Korean lineage can be verifiably traced back to the 1600s.

His mother has an extremely stereotypical German first name, yet his dad is the one born in Soltau, Germany. And that's before diving into his dad's family history.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Second Boeing whistleblower this year has died:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/may/02/second-boeing-whistleblower-dies

QuoteSecond Boeing whistleblower dies after short illness
Joshua Dean, 45, former quality auditor at Boeing supplier Spirit AeroSystems, alleged 'gross misconduct by quality management'

Joshua Dean, a Boeing whistleblower who warned of manufacturing defects in the planemaker's 737 Max, has died after a short illness, the second Boeing whistleblower to die this year.

Dean, 45, a former quality auditor at Boeing supplier Spirit AeroSystems, filed a complaint with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) alleging "serious and gross misconduct by senior quality management of the 737 production line" at Spirit.

In 2018 and 2019, two 737 Max planes were involved in fatal crashes, which killed 346 people. Dean was fired by Spirit last year, and filed a complaint with the Department of Labor alleging that his termination was in retaliation for raising safety concerns.

According to the Seattle Times, Dean was hospitalized after having trouble breathing. He was intubated and developed pneumonia and a serious infection before dying two weeks later.

"He passed away yesterday morning, and his absence will be deeply felt. We will always love you Josh," Dean's aunt, Carol Dean Parsons, said via Facebook.

Dean was represented by the same law firm that represented Boeing whistleblower John "Mitch" Barnett. Barnett, 62, was found dead in March from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Barnett spent almost three decades at Boeing, and told the New York Times in 2019 that he had found "clusters or metal slivers" hanging over the wiring of flight controls that could have caused "catastrophic" damage if they had penetrated wires.

He alleged that management had ignored his complaints and moved him to another part of the plant.

Last month, another Boeing whistleblower, Sam Salehpour, told Congress there was "no safety culture" at Boeing, and alleged that employees who raised the alarm were "ignored, marginalized, threatened, sidelined and worse". He said he feared "physical violence" after going public with his concerns.

US regulators are now investigating Boeing after a mid-air door-panel blowout in January on a Boeing 737 Max 9.

Reuters reported last month that the justice department is now weighing whether Boeing violated an agreement that shielded it from criminal prosecution over the fatal crashes in 2018 and 2019.

From Seattle Times:
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/whistleblower-josh-dean-of-boeing-supplier-spirit-aerosystems-has-died/
QuoteParsons said Dean became ill and went to the hospital because he was having trouble breathing just over two weeks ago. He was intubated and developed pneumonia and then a serious bacterial infection, MRSA.

His condition deteriorated rapidly, and he was airlifted from Wichita to a hospital in Oklahoma City, Parsons said. There he was put on an ECMO machine, which circulates and oxygenates a patient's blood outside the body, taking over heart and lung function when a patient's organs don't work on their own.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action"

Let's see if a third happens :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

That is many of our retirement plans  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on May 03, 2024, 02:40:10 AM"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action"

Is there a third whistleblower?

Barrister

So there's been a social media thing going on.  It goes something like this:

If you ask a woman - if you're walking in the woods alone, you turn a corner - would you rather meet a man - or a bear?

A lot of women apparently answer a bear.  Then in turn a lot of men answer are outraged that women say that - that a bear is a lot more dangerous.  Then a lot of women are outraged because a lot of men don't realize how dangerous men can be to women.

I asked my wife this question - she said it was dumb and of course a man.  Of course my wife is also 5'10" and a former corrections officer - she could kick my ass if it came to it, so perhaps not representative of gender relations in general.

My own thoughts - people are over-stating the danger of bears.  Yes, if a bear decides it wants to attack you - you're in much more danger from a bear then from a man.  But bears very rarely attack people.  Just don't get between them and their cubs (or hopefully don't meet a hungry bear right before the winter where they might take more chances).  But beyond that - I get that being a social media thing women are more making a point about the risk men can pose to women alone in the woods - which due to my job I don't want to discount.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

He'll I am more anxious about seeing a man on a trail.  When I see a bear I say "hey bear" and it moves away. I say "hey man" and he keeps coming.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on May 04, 2024, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 03, 2024, 02:40:10 AM"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action"

Is there a third whistleblower?

If there is he's probably awfully nervous right about now :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Best to stay away from windows

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2024, 11:00:23 PMSo there's been a social media thing going on.  It goes something like this:

If you ask a woman - if you're walking in the woods alone, you turn a corner - would you rather meet a man - or a bear?

A lot of women apparently answer a bear.  Then in turn a lot of men answer are outraged that women say that - that a bear is a lot more dangerous.  Then a lot of women are outraged because a lot of men don't realize how dangerous men can be to women.

I asked my wife this question - she said it was dumb and of course a man.  Of course my wife is also 5'10" and a former corrections officer - she could kick my ass if it came to it, so perhaps not representative of gender relations in general.

My own thoughts - people are over-stating the danger of bears.  Yes, if a bear decides it wants to attack you - you're in much more danger from a bear then from a man.  But bears very rarely attack people.  Just don't get between them and their cubs (or hopefully don't meet a hungry bear right before the winter where they might take more chances).  But beyond that - I get that being a social media thing women are more making a point about the risk men can pose to women alone in the woods - which due to my job I don't want to discount.

My girlfriend asked me this one yesterday randomly.
Yep. It's obviously the man.
She explained most women say the bear and that most women would say the bear, I clearly don't see the world the same way, etc....
I asked does she seriously think if I was alone in the woods with a random woman I'd attack them... She just got all "this isn't about you!".
OK. So her brother, dad, any other guy she knows.... No answer.

It is pretty stupid and sexist.
Yeah yeah, men are a threat to women. We all know that. But come on. A random man is far less likely to be a risk than a random bear.
In the version I heard you're in the middle of a big forest far from anything  with one of the two. I took it to mean you're placed in with the other thing right beside you. A bear suddenly teleported like so will not be a happy bear.

The odds you get a bear that attacks you are far higher than you get a man who is likely to just jump on the woman.
Plus the problem of getting out of the forest... More likely a guy can offer some help there.

She doesn't get how it's offensive
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2024, 11:24:53 PMHe'll I am more anxious about seeing a man on a trail.  When I see a bear I say "hey bear" and it moves away. I say "hey man" and he keeps coming.

I'm unclear if this is a tale about cruising or gay panic. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

My mind could be changed with reliable statistics but i strongly suspect the bear is infinitely more dangerous.

HVC

What type of bear is it? Polar bear and you'd be dead before you can register that you stumbled across one.