News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Apparently the blonde guy accompanying him to the ring is from Pinneberg, around the corner from where I grew up. :D I need to ask a friend who used to run a promotion in the area if he knows him. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

One of the main original UK channels currently has wrestling on weekend nights I discovered recently.
It's a really trashy sub WWE/WCW studio I've never heard of.
Seems to have a lot of Brits and Americans involved.
One minute was a guy inviting some guy to come to his great home town of Norwich the next it was direct from Montreal with some dude in a quebec flag t shirt beating up... I don't remember who.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Ok, looked at the Facebook page of the (now defunct) PWF (Pro Wrestling Fighters). They ran from 2007-2017 and were part of a North German/Scandinavian group of indie promotions. They occasionally managed to invite old hands over, e.g. they had a Tatanka vs. Billy Gunn match, had a match featuring Tony Atlas and another with Tommy Dreamer.

Anyways, the blonde guy in the images above was their "North European Champion" for a while, using the name "Axel Dieter Junior" in honor of his dad who was also a wrestler.

Funnier, though - Gunther also wrestler in PWF for a bit (photos are from an event in Wilster, I think the place where we celebrated our school graduation :P ), though he was a bit less impressively muscled as "Big Van Walter":

Always interesting to see how some of the biggest name in some industries have started from the bottom and worked their way up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

French Winnie the Pooh.

So. He's called Winnie the baby bear. Which... I guess it is better, makes more sense, but sort of breaks with convention.

He sounds like an old man.

Christopher Robin is called Jean Christoph... Which is just a generic old timey name. Though does raise the question with me of whether Robin was the surname and winnie was doing the funny kid thing of using someone's full name as I always assumed or the kid really did have two names.

I bemoan the lack of a hairy maclary tonie. The audio books are great.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

It's  getting kinda dark here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

That was a pretty crazy experience. It going dark for a few minutes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

We had 91% eclipse here.  If you didn't know it was going to happen, you wouldn't know.  Even if you did know, you wouldn't see it without the glasses.  If only science could market things other than solar eclipse with such effectiveness...  :(

The Brain

Did the sacrifices work?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Could be a good comedy sketch.
That bit where the time traveller convinces the medieval people they're a great and powerful wizard with an eclipse.
"... Is that it? You made it a bit cloudy for a minute. The thing that happens 50 times a day?"
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2024, 02:35:21 PMWe had 91% eclipse here.  If you didn't know it was going to happen, you wouldn't know.  Even if you did know, you wouldn't see it without the glasses.  If only science could market things other than solar eclipse with such effectiveness...  :(

No kidding.
"We have these things called vaccines that are cheap and easy to administer and can effectively eliminate the risk of deadly diseases, adding decades to human life expectancy."
"Shove your death jabs up your ass, fascist commie bastard"
"OK how about these cheap Chinese cardboard glasses that let you stare at the sun in black and white?"
"I'll take 2 dozen"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

If you were along the right zone it was apparently pretty good. It was cloudy here anyway so just went from kind of dark, to a bit darker. Not that awe inspiring :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Checking up apparently the moon was quite far from the earth this time around and one the US got back in 2017 was much more impressive.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on April 08, 2024, 05:57:36 AMJust saw that Wrestlemania 40 was last weekend. Considering the first one I watched was IX (what a way to start :bleeding: ), another sign I'm getting up there in years. :P

I only ever paid to watch one Wrestlemania - 18.  Heck I think that was the only WWE PPV I ever paid to watch.

I have to admit I was highly entertained by 18 - it had the epic Hogan vs Rock match, but the rest of the card was fun as well.

But honestly I haven't watched WWE for years, and I have no idea who any of these guys are.  I mean I've heard of Roman Reigns, and I guess The Rock was back involved somehow, but beyond that no clue.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on April 08, 2024, 04:19:56 PMChecking up apparently the moon was quite far from the earth this time around and one the US got back in 2017 was much more impressive.

The 2017 one was much more impressive for me. This one was a JOKE
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

So this is what Mario sounds like

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.