News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

From those listed, Sam Addams for me. Although when I lived in the US my favorite "brand you could find pretty much anywhere" was Sierra Nevada. Loved the stuff.

Sadly not a popular import over here, for some reason most beer places will have Lagunitas as their default yank IPA, which I don't think is that popular in the US? Although it is decent.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2024, 03:11:59 PMFrom those listed, Sam Addams for me. Although when I lived in the US my favorite "brand you could find pretty much anywhere" was Sierra Nevada. Loved the stuff.

Sadly not a popular import over here, for some reason most beer places will have Lagunitas as their default yank IPA, which I don't think is that popular in the US? Although it is decent.

Sierra Nevada is the one that went out of business recently, isn't it?

I've heard the name Lagunitas but that's the extent of my exposure.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2024, 03:15:33 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2024, 03:11:59 PMFrom those listed, Sam Addams for me. Although when I lived in the US my favorite "brand you could find pretty much anywhere" was Sierra Nevada. Loved the stuff.

Sierra Nevada is the one that went out of business recently, isn't it?

I've heard the name Lagunitas but that's the extent of my exposure.

California.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Guess bud light clawed their way back to number 1. Was a big thing last year when they lost their spot over the ad debacle.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2024, 04:28:21 PMGuess bud light clawed their way back to number 1. Was a big thing last year when they lost their spot over the ad debacle.

You mean the ad triumph!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2024, 05:39:14 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2024, 04:28:21 PMGuess bud light clawed their way back to number 1. Was a big thing last year when they lost their spot over the ad debacle.

You mean the ad triumph!

You have a promising career in advertising ahead of you :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2024, 05:40:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2024, 05:39:14 PM

You mean the ad triumph!

You have a promising career in advertising ahead of you :D

Mad Men showed me it comes with crippling alcoholism though  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Eight hours ago, Brian Cook of MGoBlog, an independent blog covering University of Michigan sports (and doing it very, very well) announced the creation of a Kickstarter campaign to produce a $150 book commemorating the three seasons leading up to the football National Championship.  The goal: $50k.  That was reached in 40 minutes.  Pledges now total over $261,000.  In eight hours!

These fans are nuts!  In the best possible (humblebrag) way.  My copy is reserved.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

He should take the money and deliver a book about *insert Michigan nemesis here*

Syt

Work is making us use TFA for our office apps now, asking us to use the MS authenticator.

Had a bit of a struggle setting it up, though, when the app asked me to install the authenticator app to authenticate use of the app.  :hmm:

I kept clicking things till it worked. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Wow this is a very long article to say essentially nothing at all: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/02/new-science-of-death-brain-activity-consciousness-near-death-experience

The conclusion after a long wall of text going through the history of research for near-death experiences about twice is that this Patient One's brain kicked into overdrive when removed from oxygen. Like, no kidding? The body experiences a sudden shock (losing incoming oxygen) and it triggers frantic brain activity? Surely that is unheard of. 

Josquius

I'm currently trying one of those Prime Energy things the kids (well. Former kids. How many years ago was it) are big on.
Its...yeah. Less metalic tasting than a usual energy drink. There's a flavour. But still. I don't get it. And I'm probably going to have heart failure?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on April 02, 2024, 06:45:55 AMI'm currently trying one of those Prime Energy things the kids (well. Former kids. How many years ago was it) are big on.
Its...yeah. Less metalic tasting than a usual energy drink. There's a flavour. But still. I don't get it. And I'm probably going to have heart failure?

It's 100% marketing, 2020s style, being promoted by Youtuber Logan Paul.

Prime was super big back before it was legally for sale in Canada - but you could find grey-market bottles of the stuff for ridiculous mark-ups.  Now that you can buy it at your local convenience store I don't think there's any great mystique to it anymore.

My oldest boy was into it for awhile, but I don't think he cares about it now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2024, 02:28:58 PM
Quote from: Josquius on April 02, 2024, 06:45:55 AMI'm currently trying one of those Prime Energy things the kids (well. Former kids. How many years ago was it) are big on.

It's 100% marketing, 2020s style, being promoted by Youtuber Logan Paul.

Prime was super big back before it was legally for sale in Canada - but you could find grey-market bottles of the stuff for ridiculous mark-ups.  Now that you can buy it at your local convenience store I don't think there's any great mystique to it anymore.

My oldest boy was into it for awhile, but I don't think he cares about it now.

Yeah, I remember when it came out and you had rumours that a certain shop was going to get a shipment and teenage boys going mad trying to grab it. I remember the insanity made the mainstream news. Then you had lots of corner shops selling it for ridiculous mark ups.
I happened to see it in Home Bargains today for the price of a normal can of pop. This is a shop that is pretty known for weird random clearance lines; pre brexit often international ones but that seems to have dried up lately. Yet another reason to curse that lot. But anyway. Shows its time is very much over that its showing up on sale here.
██████
██████
██████