News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Yeah I think broadly Catholic countries do Easter Monday, Protestants do Good Friday.

In England, because the CofE is reformed and Catholic, we get both as holidays :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2024, 09:23:52 AMYeah I think broadly Catholic countries do Easter Monday, Protestants do Good Friday.

In England, because the CofE is reformed and Catholic, we get both as holidays :lol:

Its like the Christmas eve/Christmas day divide.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Zero idea how valid this is, but I'm quite shocked. Had no idea guiness was so big, and would imagine it's dip would have been more gen x with the popularity of lager in the 80s/90s and beer   revival since.

Corona doesn't belong on any beer lists. It's non beer piss water.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Turkish local elections and AKP have had their worst results ever, coming behind the CHP. The CHP are well out of their coastal base and making strides into Anatolia:

Erdogan's acknowledged the defeat and said the government needs to spend the next four years (no election) rebuilding after the earthquake and improving the economy: "We will obey the will of the people as we have done in the past. The people said their last words. We will work with the mayors who won the elections. We will self-critique ourselves. We had setbacks."

And looks very likely the mayor of Istanbul or Ankara will be the next opposition candidate.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Josquius on April 01, 2024, 04:04:57 AMZero idea how valid this is, but I'm quite shocked. Had no idea guiness was so big, and would imagine it's dip would have been more gen x with the popularity of lager and in the 80s/90s and beer   revival since.

I call bullshit.  I love Guinness but I almost never see people drinking it, hear anyone talking about it etc., outside of the context of going to an Irish or British-style pub, which aren't common here (I don't think?)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

How is popularity defined?  Is it based on what you drink, or just based on what you say you like drinking?  I can see how someone may claim to like Guinness but wouldn't actually want to touch that stuff, it's like the single malt scotch of beers in that way.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2024, 10:54:47 AMHow is popularity defined?  Is it based on what you drink, or just based on what you say you like drinking?  I can see how someone may claim to like Guinness but wouldn't actually want to touch that stuff, it's like the single malt scotch of beers in that way.

Here's the UK survey and it says this:

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/consumer/popularity/beer-cider/all
QuotePopularity is the % of people who have a positive opinion of a beer & cider brand.

So yes you could have a popular opinion of a brand without regularly drinking it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2024, 06:58:02 AMTurkish local elections and AKP have had their worst results ever, coming behind the CHP. The CHP are well out of their coastal base and making strides into Anatolia:

Yeah well the AKP has until 2028 to get this taken care of.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

From the beers list the thing I get weirdly fixated on is how the younger generations give more points to more beers.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2024, 09:23:52 AMYeah I think broadly Catholic countries do Easter Monday, Protestants do Good Friday.

In Spain Good Friday is a national holiday, Easter Monday isn't - although it's a regional holiday in most of the north and the levant.

The Brain

We have Good Friday and Easter Monday off.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2024, 10:35:31 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 01, 2024, 04:04:57 AMZero idea how valid this is, but I'm quite shocked. Had no idea guiness was so big, and would imagine it's dip would have been more gen x with the popularity of lager and in the 80s/90s and beer   revival since.

I call bullshit.  I love Guinness but I almost never see people drinking it, hear anyone talking about it etc., outside of the context of going to an Irish or British-style pub, which aren't common here (I don't think?)

Does anybody regularly drink any of those beers anymore?  I thought the market was mainly dominated by the micro breweries these days.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2024, 11:12:20 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2024, 10:54:47 AMHow is popularity defined?  Is it based on what you drink, or just based on what you say you like drinking?  I can see how someone may claim to like Guinness but wouldn't actually want to touch that stuff, it's like the single malt scotch of beers in that way.

Here's the UK survey and it says this:

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/consumer/popularity/beer-cider/all
QuotePopularity is the % of people who have a positive opinion of a beer & cider brand.

So yes you could have a popular opinion of a brand without regularly drinking it.

That makes so much more sense.

WTF is White Claw doing in a beer survey?  :wacko:

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on April 01, 2024, 04:04:57 AM

Zero idea how valid this is, but I'm quite shocked. Had no idea guiness was so big, and would imagine it's dip would have been more gen x with the popularity of lager and in the 80s/90s and beer   revival since.

So I had my doubts about this, but googled and I think this is the source.

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/25-most-popular-beers-america/

So the source is a YouGov survey.  I think the key is that it's a survey of "likability" - that is to say people were read various beer brands and were asked if they had a favourable or unfavourable rating of each brand of beer.

So that actually makes more sense to me.  I have a favourable rating of, say, Guinness - but I would hardly ever drink it.  That would also explain why so many European or "macro-micro" brews would make the list (as in something like Sam Adams or Blue Moon).

According to the following link however, the top selling beers in the US are as follows (and much more what I expected):

1. Bud Light
2. Coors Light
3. Budweiser
4. Miller Lite
5. Corona Extra

https://gitnux.org/most-popular-beers-in-america/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2024, 01:48:52 PMAccording to the following link however, the top selling beers in the US are as follows (and much more what I expected):

1. Bud Light
2. Coors Light
3. Budweiser
4. Miller Lite
5. Corona Extra

Well that is mainly based on cost and big beer drinkers wanting to not gain too much weight.

Of the big beer brands Blue Moon is my fav and since I am gen X I guess that tracks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."