News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Most of my meetings start with socializing... :shutup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Yeah, we say book keeping.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2024, 04:19:02 AMMost of my meetings start with socializing... :shutup:

Talk about a learned social behaviour for me.  :D My natural tendencies combined with working with Germans for the first decade of my career resulted in my urge to just star the call and get going. But I have learned to chit-chat for a few minutes.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on March 04, 2024, 09:16:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2024, 04:19:02 AMMost of my meetings start with socializing... :shutup:

Talk about a learned social behaviour for me.  :D My natural tendencies combined with working with Germans for the first decade of my career resulted in my urge to just star the call and get going. But I have learned to chit-chat for a few minutes.

I've found the higher your conversation partner is ranked, the longer the ceremonial chit-chat needs to be drawn out.

crazy canuck

Here we call it "housekeeping" matters.

But I think it is generally viewed as bad practice to start off a meeting with that.  You have everyone's attention.  Don't bore them with minor stuff right off the top.

Better to do some relationship building, talk about the important points. then leave the minor stuff for later.

Barrister

Depends on the size of the meeting, doesn't it?

If it's just a handful of people then yes - you chit-chat for a bit.  If it's a large group however you just get right at it.

And yes to answer Jos's question, I would use the term "housekeeping" mostly, but "bookkeeping" isn't wrong.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Housekeeping, not bookkeeping, that's right.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

House keeping does ring more of a bell.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on March 01, 2024, 05:13:07 AMYou cannot see attachments on this board.

Seen on Reddit today:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

That's the net promoter score. Very common in market research and used to look at customer loyalty.

I tried to avoid it at all costs in my work but then knowing how it works I almost always rate 9 or 10 so the person helped me won't be adversely affected.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

NPS is the devil. I run into it so often professionally.
"would you recommend the bereavement process to a friend"
... Well... No? I hope a friend doesn't have to go through that?
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Mass killing in Ottawa.  Suspect was living with the family.  Knife attack.  It's horrible.  A baby was killed. Don't read if you're sensible.  :cry:   I regret clicking on this.  I expected some shooting, not this.

Link in French for now
Killing in Ottawa: a mother and her four children among the victims

Edit: here's CTV News.  A family of recent Sri Lankan immigrants:
19 yo charged in killing of 6 people

God. That's horrible.  Something you'd expect out of TO or MTL.  Not Ottawa.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2024, 02:31:05 PMThat's the net promoter score. Very common in market research and used to look at customer loyalty.

I tried to avoid it at all costs in my work but then knowing how it works I almost always rate 9 or 10 so the person helped me won't be adversely affected.

Yeah, most bonus programs don't kick in unless its close to 100% satisfied, so if I get those things, I routinely rate it as a 10.  Unless it was terrible.

Josquius

I went to the theatre for the first time in a decade yesterday.
I went to see the Bluey live show- apparently quite in demand but a friend of my gf randomly had some extra tickets.
The younglings both surprisingly loved it. So they can sit still.

The weather yesterday sucked and we already had plans shortly after so took the car to the city centre.
And wow did this experience really ram home how horribly bloated modern cars are. The multistory car park built some decades ago... finding a space was easy but finding one our car could fit in was not. It was a very tight squeeze that would have been impossible without parking sensors.
Given the nearby kids show there were a lot of similarly family sized cars about. The place was absolutely packed with cars sticking out of the spaces all over the place.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Boeing whistle blower found dead in US

Lots of accidents with Boeing.  Doors, gauges that stop working, anti-ice system problems, wiring problems and now a whistle blower found from apparent suicide just as he was testifying against the company.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.