News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on February 29, 2024, 08:42:04 AMWrite in vote for wolverines.

That's unquestionably the best name.  A national-champ-level name.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

You cannot see attachments on this board.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

:lol: In my experience, this is accurate.

garbon

I regularly as my husband when he says fine if he means actually fine.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I use "not bad"....Also say "no worries" a lot. I've somehow accidentally become Australian :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

One thing I find fascinating on this is it reflects in actual data too.
Americans visiting Japan and looking for somewhere to eat on Google maps or the like will struggle to find something acceptable - Japanese people tend to go with 3 for actually fine and rarely give 5s.

Im on board with this and will basically never review a 5 unless they save my life or give out free beer or so.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, 3 is for acceptable, 4 is very good, 5 is for those restaurants I still remember years later.

Syt

I know every car maker is doing some sort of SUV these days, but this one was still a surprise when I saw it the other day in Vienna.

(Seems Rolls Royce have been making this one since 2018.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 02, 2024, 04:21:18 AMYeah, 3 is for acceptable, 4 is very good, 5 is for those restaurants I still remember years later.

Online ordering has ruined this. I basically agree if I'm voluntarily reviewing something.

If it's part of an app - Deliveroo or Uber - I'm not fucking with someone's income. 5 star standard, falling to 4 if the service is actively bad (and in fairness I raise an eyebrow if I see something that's rated below 4.5).
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, that makes sense, another reason not to use them  :D

Josquius

I just don't review on those. Unless they really annoyed me or again were memorably awesome.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Caitlin Clark of the University of Iowa womens' basketball team today passed Pistol Pete Marovich for the single season NCAA basketball scoring record.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2024, 03:48:11 PMCaitlin Clark of the University of Iowa womens' basketball team today passed Pistol Pete Marovich for the single season NCAA basketball scoring record.

Actually, I believe that the record she broke was for career scoring.  AFAICT she's well behind Marovich's record of 1,381 points in 1970 (last year she had 1,055 in 38 games). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on March 02, 2024, 04:01:05 PMI just don't review on those. Unless they really annoyed me or again were memorably awesome.

Yeah same

Josquius

Whats the term for that thing at the start of the meeting where before jumping into the content proper you go over outstanding minor little admin tasks?
My mind is shouting at me that its bookkeeping. But that just doesn't sound right.
██████
██████
██████