News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I hope they manage to put that ball back together.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Can't imagine why the South Korean women are uninterested in such a virile specimen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Tim is one of those types that imitates statues? :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on July 04, 2011, 09:26:11 AM
Tim is one of those types that imitates statues? :x

He's half-statue, himself; what do you expect?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on July 03, 2011, 07:27:27 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 01, 2011, 11:49:59 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 01, 2011, 10:33:02 PM
I shaved off my beard for the first time in 13 years. Feel strange. I shaved other stuff too. My wife will find that out the hard way. :ph34r:

I'm sitting on an icepack.  :lol:
Guess it didn't go to well with the wife? :(

It was great, actually. She was quite surprised.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

What I'm going to use on employee evaluations*:

http://www.thumbsupuk.com/products/Epic-Win-and-Epic-Fail-Stamps.htm

*not really, you stupid fucks
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 04, 2011, 06:21:20 PM
What I'm going to use on employee evaluations*:

http://www.thumbsupuk.com/products/Epic-Win-and-Epic-Fail-Stamps.htm

*not really, you stupid fucks

QuoteWhen someone's done so fantastically well that a simple "good job" doesn't quite cut it, or messed up so embarrassingly badly that a quiet "better luck next time" just won't suffice, these Epic Win/Epic Fail stamps will do all the talking so you don't have to!

Hmmm.  Talking is usually the first step in me saying something stupid.  Perhaps if I communicate entirely through stamps I won't have this problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Shameful.

Mexican man who attempted to escape from prison in a suitcase.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I guess it didn't work.  There was a fellow from Illinois who escaped the local prison by hiding in a bread truck.  Later went on to become famous. Ray, I think his name was.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2011, 10:19:57 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2011, 03:17:40 AM
If Batman spends a great deal of time in the Batcave--which, of course, is a cave full of bats--does he also spend a great deal of time covered in guano?
No.  Alfred maintains the cleanliness of the cave, and the bats seem to avoid the parts of the cave that Batman uses.
QuoteIf Superman gets his powers from a yellow sun, would he be even more powerful if he wore less clothing?
I'm not sure that momentary charge is especially important, as Superman is depicted as being extremely powerful even on cloudy days or at night.  It's the accumulated charge of a lifetime that strengthens him, which is why old Supermen are often depicted as hideously powerful, and Superman himself is depicted as somewhat more powerful than other Kryptonians who have less yellow sun-time under their belt.
QuoteIf Triplicate Girl got pregnant, when she split into her triplicates, would they also be pregnant?  Follow-up question: if one copy got pregnant while split, would she still be pregnant when she recombined, or does she use this for birth control?
They're not copies.  They're all her.  If one gets pregnant, they all do, and presumably the child would share the inborn ability of all natives of Cargg to triplicate themselves.  It's surprising that it never came up when she was Triad, given how the purple Triad was a little easy.  Or maybe not, since it's a comic book for young people.
QuoteIf the Spectre is tasked with avenging murders, shouldn't there be roughly 99% fewer supervillains in the world?  If not, does this mean that supervillainy is actually pretty integral to God's plan, and should other superheroes consider this when fighting them?
The Spectre is extremely lazy.  Also, having to operate through a host body seems to weaken him and focus him down on a smaller region.  That said, it would seem that supervillainy is a part of God's plan, but the whole point of superheroics is to stand up to that plan and deny it.
QuoteIf Element Lad can turn anything into anything else, how does a LSH comic ever last more than two panels?
Element Lad is a bit of a weirdo, and his powers are limited by his psychology.  His philosophy keeps him from butchering his opponents like hogs, and it seems that certain enemies are protected from his power.  That said, when the Legion was thrown through time and space and Element Lad was abandoned ten billion years in the past, he lost his mind and became a god.

Excellent, reasoned responses.  Although I'm not sure about the Superman thing.  They're really inconsistent with that.  On one hand, he seems to operate fine at night and in deep space, in the absence of any significant (maybe ultraviolet?) light source.  On the other, he is often portrayed as losing his powers immediately in the presence of "red sun radiation."  Ignoring for the moment that Superman's universe is not the most scientifically literate fiction there ever was, and also ignoring that "red sun radiation" was bullshit dreamed up to give Superman a weakness that any idiot can access in a universe where kryptonite is supposed to be scarce, why does that work to actively depower him if he's been absorbing power for decades?  That's like a black guy immediately losing all the melanin in his skin because you shined a flashlight at him.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point